Chapter 21

When Y/n shows up at their door the next day - four whole days after she last talked to Jennie - Jennie doesn't really know how to react.

Y/n peers at her from underneath her fringe, looking a little bit like a schoolgirl who's about to get scolded for pranking one of her classmates and Jennie stares back with a blank expression, arms crossed from where she's leaning against the doorframe.

"You're not working?"

"Got the day off," Y/n answers, her hands buried in the pockets of her pants. She keeps looking at Jennie, like she's expecting Jennie to say something, and sighs heavily when she doesn't get anything. "Do you want to go somewhere?"

Jennie tongues the inside of her cheek, struggling to keep up this cold facade when all she really wants to do is step closer and press a quick kiss to Y/n's mouth. "With who?"

"With me." Y/n frowns a bit.

"Just you?"

And that seems to do the trick, because Y/n's features twist into one of shame once she understands why Jennie is acting the way she is. "Yeah. Just you and me."

Maybe she should be angry at Y/n, but she can't, not when she knows that Y/n is just scared. "Alright. Lead the way."

It's the first time they've got a moment to themselves again after the conversation they had on that hill, surrounded by the sunset, when Jennie confessed to Y/n and ended up napping in the older girl's arms until it was too dark and cold to stay outside any longer. Y/n drove her home and blushed prettily when Jennie pecked her cheek before leaving the car.

Jennie takes Kuma with her, mainly because her loyal friend has been cheering her up and keeping her company over the past week when Jennie was feeling down over this whole situation with Y/n.

They settle down on a field somewhere towards the route of the waterfall and Y/n again ruins everything by sitting down two feet away from Jennie.

Jennie sighs heavily and cranes her neck, trying to suppress the flash of anger in her chest. She thinks about the things Joohyun said yesterday, and it serves to replace the anger with sympathy.

She lies on her back on the grass, closing her eyes to protect them from the brightness of the sun.

The air smells like sticky sweet pollen and Jennie's skin is soaking up the warmth of the sun, warm to the touch and gradually taking on a more golden tan.

She hears the bells around the cows necks jingle whenever they move where they're grazing, smiles when Kuma sneezes next to her.

Y/n groans and Jennie cracks her eyes open, glancing at the older girl sitting next to her, arms balanced on her knees and eyes focused on the lines of the mountains in the distance.

She's wearing shorts and a lose, red t-shirt, revealing more tanned caramel skin than Jennie can handle.

Jennie's eyes trail over her skin, the veins on her tanned forearms, and wonders how a person can be so damn attractive.

Y/n makes another annoyed sound that snaps Jennie back to reality.

"What's wrong?" Jennie asks after hearing the tired sigh leave Y/n's lips.

Y/n turns her head to look at her and shakes her head. "It's hot."

"Yeah, it is," Jennie replies, giving her a meaningful look. She grins at the startled look on Y/n's face.

Y/n scoffs but Jennie doesn't miss the smile tugging on her lips, the fondness creeping into her features as she glares at Jennie.

Y/n keeps looking at Jennie and Jennie loses herself in those eyes, wanting nothing more than to sit up and lean in, steal a kiss, but she's too scared someone might walk by and see them.