Chapter 24

Jennie doesn't notice she's curling her fingers until Kuma makes an unhappy noise. Jennie apologizes and pats his head, trying to calm down.

Y/n knocks on her open bedroom door a moment later, wearing Jennie's clothes. A pair of sweat pants and a white shirt. Both look a little bit snall on her because Y/n is taller than her.

"I put my clothes on the hanger," Y/n quietly says. "They're really wet."

Jennie nods her head. "I know, Y/n."

Y/n gulps, looking lost, unable to meet Jennie's eyes.

A bolt of lightning paints the world around them blue for a few seconds, and suddenly the lights go out.

Great. Electricity's gone, too.

This day just keeps getting better, doesn't it?

"Come here," Jennie says, her chest aching at how small Y/n looks, watching the older girl walk closer and sit down on the edge of the mattress, her head lowered, hands twisted together on her lap. It's hard to see her in this light, but it's sill early in the evening so it's not completely dark outside yet. "Are you okay?"

Y/n nods her head. "It's nothing."

"Your ribs-"

"I said it's nothing."

Jennie shuts her mouth and Y/n squeezes her eyes shut like she's in pain, cursing under her breath before she finally lifts her head and meets Jennie's gaze. Her eyes are red rimmed. "Your nose stopped bleeding."

Y/n just stares at her. "Jennie."

Jennie shuffles closer until she can feel Y/n's body heat, lifts her hand and touches the bruise on Y/n's cheek. "I don't know where grandma keeps her first-aid stuff."

A shuddering sigh leaves Y/n's lips, her hand coming up to grip Jennie's wrist, pulling it away from her face, and before Jennie can feel hurt at the rejection, Y/n's trembling fingers push between her own, holding on so tightly Jennie feels it like a grip around her heart.

"How long-" Jennie decides to break the silence after a minute. "How long have Joohyun and Seulgi been together?"

"Three years," Y/n answers, sniffling. "They've been best friends since childhood, though."

"Y/n, how can you be sure that guy won't tell anyone?"

Y/n tenses up next to her, her grip on Jennie's hand slacking until Jennie tightens her hold on her and feels Y/n squeeze back gently.

She doesn't speak for a while, and Jennie gives her that time, gently patting Kuma whenever the dog whines at every crack of thunder.

"He used to be my dad's business partner," Y/n finally says.

Jennie's head snaps up at that; she knows how much of a touchy subject her father is to Y/n, and she didn't expect the older girl to bring the man up willingly.

"They opened up that car repair shop together. It was, like, seven years ago." Y/n's tongue darts out to wet her lips, her nose twitching when the muscle runs over the cut on her bottom lip. "Things weren't going well, you know that by now. There was this old man who'd been running his own car repair service for years prior, so he had a bunch of loyal customers. Kwangsun and my dad they-" Y/n stops and shakes her head, her eyes fluttering closed and Jennie curses out all those people that did this to her. No one this young should be as burdened as Y/n is. "They committed arson. Burned down that poor man's entire store. Made it look like a pressurized cylinder exploded inside."

"Fucking cowards," Jennie mutters, snapping her mouth shut when Y/n glances at her. "Sorry."

Y/n smiles. "You're right. That's all they are."