Chapter 17

They leave through the door at the back, not the front where Seulgi is probably rubbing Seokmin's back while he's throwing up.

Seulgi's house is situated more so on the outside of the village, meaning when you look at the scenery on the back, it's just a large grass field followed by a dark forest, never ending forest. It's eery, it really is, because Jennie doesn't even want to know what sort of animals lurk in there.

It's hard to make out anything in the darkness of the night; only the outlines of the mountains are visible due to how bright the stars are.

Y/n leans against the wooden fence and fiddles with the box of cigarettes while Jennie is once again too fascinated by the stars hanging in the sky to look at anything else. There's a cool breeze in the air and she can hear bells clinking whenever either cows or sheep move somewhere in their stables.

It's such a peaceful night though with crickets chirping seemingly everywhere around them.

"Fuck," Y/n curses quietly, making Jennie lower her head to look at her.

"What is it?" Jennie asks, stepping closer to the fence.

Y/n sighs and crumples the box in her hand. "Ran out."

"That's good, though, isn't it?" Jennie asks, folding her arms over the fence, facing the dark forest and mountains while Y/n is leaning against it with her back, facing the other way and the back of Jin's house.

"I guess," Y/n mutters. Her voice shakes and when Jennie glances at her she picks up on the jumpiness; the way she's shaking her knee, the slight tremor to her fingers, the way Y/n clenches and unclenches her jaw.

"Or not," Jennie chuckles pityingly. "When did you have your last one?"

"Yesterday at work," Y/n answers, bringing her hand up to run it through her hair. She closes her eyes and tilts her head back and Jennie can't help but stare oddly intimate it makes her swallow heavily.

Shit.

Maybe it's the alcohol she had, but Jennie is having a really hard time tonight keeping her thoughts and actions at bay. She digs her blunt fingernails into the wood of the fence, trying to ground herself.

"You know, a friend of mine back in the city, she used to be a really bad chainsmoker. She tried just about everything to stop but you know what eventually helped her?"

Y/n blinks her eyes open and turns to face her. Jennie swears she sees the stars' reflection in her eyes. "What?"

"Whenever she had the urge to smoke she kissed her gi-" Jennie glances at Y/n, relieved to find that the older girl didn't notice her slip. "Her boyfriend. She'd just make out with him until the urge went away."

A tiny laugh leaves Y/n's mouth. "Well, it's a shame I don't have a boyfriend, isn't it?"

Jennie cracks a nervous smile and slowly nods her head, eyes searching Y/n's. "Yeah... Shame."

Y/n licks her lips and Jennie nearly pops a vein, the wood giving in under the relentless pressure of her fingers. The air feels so charged around them Jennie doesn't dare move, and she doesn't think she could look away from Y/n even if she wanted to.

It's like they're opposite poles because Jennie can feel the pull, and maybe it's just her, but it tugs at her chest and stomach and legs, urging her to lean in and touch Y/n, her heart thudding heavily and Jennie is torn between starting to hate the constant feeling and wanting more of it.

But Y/n suddenly seems to come back to her senses. She closes her eyes and shakes her head, pushing away from the fence and Jennie hears her curse quietly, her heart dropping to the bottom of her stomach at the whispered "Shit" Y/n lets out.