Chapter 10

She's not surprised when she doesn't see Y/n in the following couple of days.

Not because Jennie doesn't leave the house or anything; Y/n seems to just have disappeared.

Even the others pick up on her sudden absence and whenever Nayeon or Seokmin call her to ask where she is, Y/n tells them that she's busy with work.

They asked Jennie if she knew what was up, if anything happened between them and Jennie said the truth and explained that she had no idea.

Jennie tries to tell herself that she was telling the truth, but then she remembers their stupid last encounter and can't help but feel like Y/n's absence is her fault anyway.

She knows she's not that important to Y/n that the older would go out of her way to avoid her, but the last time Jennie saw her, Y/n barely talked to her on their way home and even her goodbye was rushed and it felt as if Y/n was extremely uncomfortable around her.

Jennie sighs and closes her eyes, the hammock swinging gently in the whisper of the wind.

It's her fault.

Because Jennie undeniably has a hard time not thinking about Y/n, especially at night when she's unable to sleep, and she has no idea what that means for her.

The lack of naps she's been taking during the day when Y/n was around really are starting to take a toll on her; she feels like she might pass out from exhaustion if she doesn't get some real shut-eye soon.

She stirs when she hears the gates to their garden open, hope flaring in her chest, but it quickly deflates once she realizes that it's Namjoon.

Namjoon is one of the friends she met at the class room with Y/n and the others.

She smiles and waves at him from afar where Kuma is running around him in excitement and Jennie gets up and puts on her grandmothers' ugly red slippers.

Namjoon seems to think so too, because he raises and eyebrow at her attire and gives her a judging look. "You're turning into one of us." He grins.

"I really am." Jennie sighs, pointing at the black, lose linen pants her grandmother made her wear because she wouldn't stop walking around in her skinny jeans despite the sweltering heat.

Namjoon hums and tilts her head. His clothes make him look like he's a tourist just like Jennie rather than someone living here. Jennie also he has this stunning kind of natural beauty that forces you to do a double-take; big eyes and full lips, sharp eyebrows. Jennie briefly thinks her mother would be really happy if she went back with Namjoon's number in her phone; she always wanted her to marry someone who would keep their traditions going. "You must be bored. Do you really plan on staying another four weeks?"

Jennie nods. "It's not that bad. I wouldn't be doing anything exciting back home either, so it's okay."

She nods and looks up at the balcony of their house. "Is aunt Youngja here? My mom sent me to pick something up."

"I think she's at the back." Jennie nods and walks to the back of their garden where her grandmother is crouched on the ground, diligently taking care of her vegetables. "Grandma, Namjoon's here."

Her grandmother turns around and gives the girl a warm smile, pointing at the plastic bags that she stacked against the house. "You came to pick those up, right sweetheart?"

Namjoon puffs out her cheeks. "Auntie, I thought it was supposed to be just one bag of tomatoes. What on earth is all of that?"

"I packed some green onions and lettuce and other things, too," She says. "Oh, don't give me that look. Jennie can help you carry them back."