Chapter 19

Y/n stops the car at a random field and proceeds to drive right through it, ignoring Jennie's complaints about her ruining the pretty grass.

Her complaints stop the second Y/n kills the engine and tells Jennie to get out, which she does, and promptly turns into a statue at the beautiful scenery in front of her.

It seems they found the perfect spot to watch the sunset, somewhere on top a small hill, looking down on those never ending fields of crops and flowers and the grass with that shade of vibrant green that just seems so much more alive than what Jennie sees in the city.

Y/n moves to sit in the open back of the truck while Jennie snaps a few pictures of the landscape and it's only when Jennie notices how quiet it is that she remembers who she's here with.

She puts her phone away and turns around to look the older girl, her heart shrinking a little when she sees Y/n sitting there with a troubled look on her face, eyes lowered to her lap.

Jennie takes a calming breath and hesitatingly moves to sit down next to her, their feet dangling above the ground, and squints her eyes against the brightness of the sun disappearing behind the mountains in the distance.

The gentle breeze seems stronger out here on the open fields, ruffling through their hair and making Jennie's thin cotton shirt flutter against her chest.

Y/n's legs look like one of a child; bruises and cuts marring the skin, and as Jennie's eyes travel up she finds that there are a few bruises and cuts along her arms, too, and Jennie can't fight the concern flaring in her chest at the sight.

She hopes they have at least basic safety regulations on that construction site; the thought of Y/n walking around there without a helmet makes her cringe.

"Are you not going to say anything?" Jennie's voice cuts through the silence after minutes, making Y/n tense up next to her.

She glances at Y/n, at her lowered eyelashes because she's still resolutely staring at her lap, the drop of her shoulders like an invisible weight is pulling down on them. "I don't even know where to start," Y/n finally says, her voice breaking towards the end.

Jennie keeps her mouth shut, for once trying her best to sort out her thoughts before she speaks. This is a serious situation and Y/n she's- she's struggling and Jennie just wants to be able to help her out somehow. "How about- How about I ask you some things that are on my mind, and you answer? If you want to."

Y/n slowly lifts her head and faces Jennie, her pretty features which are twisted in exhaustion still serving to knock all the air out of Jennie's lungs. "Okay."

"Do you-" Jennie starts, pulling a conflicted face, not sure if it's the right thing to ask or not. "Do you like girls?"

Yeah, definitely not the right thing to ask. Y/n's jaw tightens and she looks away, her whole body so tense it looks like she might just snap if Jennie were to touch her.

"Sorry," Jennie quickly says. "That was a stupid thing to ask."

"It's fine," Y/n mutters, her chest rising and falling with the deep breaths she's taking. "I let you kiss me yesterday. Of course you'd ask."

Jennie's stomach drops unpleasantly at Y/n's words. She makes it sound like she... like she simply endured Jennie kissing her, like she didn't want it. "Did you not want me to kiss you?"

Y/n's head snaps up at the waver of Jennie's voice, eyebrows knitted together in confusion and if Jennie didn't know it better, she'd think that was concern swimming in Y/n's eyes. "Jennie-," She starts and the way she says her name makes Jennie shudder, heart pounding faster. "I kissed you back. What- What do you think?"