Chapter 43

Y/n isn't there when Jennie wakes up.

Jennie blinks, trying to get rid of the lingering sleep in her eyes, rubs at them, and looks around the room again.

Y/n isn't there.

The left side of her bed is empty when Jennie reaches out to touch the mattress.

It was just a dream.

It was all just another dream.

Jennie's throat tightens up as the realization hits her like a punch to the gut.

She doesn't know how much more of this she can take. How cruel is it, for her mind to keep playing these tricks on her? And it felt so real, too.

The kisses, Y/n's touch, her warmth, all of it.

Of course it's happened before, when she hasn't been able to sleep properly for days, but something about this is different. She really thought-

Jennie's eyes well up with hot tears, her chest aching horribly. She brings the pillow next to her up to her face, trying to hide her pain, feeling embarrassed that she keeps falling for this.

The pillow smells like peaches, fresh and sweet, and it makes Jennie whimper like a wounded puppy, because she's gone so crazy she can hallucinate about scents now, too-

"Jen?"

Jennie flinches, her breath faltering at the familiar voice. What's happening?

Is she still dreaming?

"What are you doing?"

Y/n? That's Y/n's voice-

Jennie slowly lowers the pillow and her face crumples when she sees Y/n standing there, in Jennie's clothes, looking worried with her hair standing up oddly in places. "Y/n/n?"

"Hey," Y/n gently says, stepping closer. "What's wrong, huh?"

Jennie swallows past the lump in her throat. "Are you real?"

Y/n frowns, looking even more concerned. "Am I real?"

Jennie nods, clutching the peach scented pillow to her chest. "Is this a dream?"

Y/n stares at her for another three seconds before understanding dawns on her face, and her eyes suddenly look so tired and sad Jennie has to bite back another miserable whimper. "I'm real, Jen. You're not dreaming."

"Promise?"

Y/n comes closer, and carefully sits down on the bed. She reaches her hand out, watching Jennie look at it silently.

Jennie lets go of the pillow and takes the offered hand. Feels the warmth, the softness. She gulps and closes her eyes. "Fuck."

"Jen. Love, you're scaring me." Y/n moves closer, lets Jennie hold her hand, and lifts her free one to cup Jennie's cheek.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to," Jennie mumbles. "I just thought- when you weren't there... I'm stupid. Sorry."

"You're not stupid," Y/n says. "I'm sorry for leaving. My mom was kind of freaking out since I didn't come back last night. I had to call her."

Jennie nods and blinks up at the girl. "Is she mad?"

"No, just concerned. Don't worry about it." Y/n smiles at her. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah. I... slept like a baby." Jennie feels well rested, for the first time in what feels like years. "Thank you."

"I'm glad my powers are still working." Y/n grins smugly, making Jennie laugh. The older keeps looking at her with that fond smile.