Chapter 1

It's almost Christmas, I hope you all enjoy your holiday.

————————————————————————
"True love is not real unless it's returned... Life is too cruel. If we cease to believe in love, why would we want to live?"
-Katherine Pierce
————————————————————————

"Terra, learn to smile, would you?"

I stared at my father, wearing a poker face void of emotion. "The only time I'll smile is when I'm ripping someone's throat out. I have a few people on my list."
The guests standing around my father, mother, and I, silently walked away with uncomfortable expressions.

"Do you have to scare off everyone around you?" My mother asks with a sigh. My father was fuming at my response, and I knew this would come with repercussions later.
This was my engagement party, and I wish I could say I was happy. It's sad the difference between fantasy and reality. No, this was a marriage arrangement my father made in return for money. I, his disappointment of a daughter, would marry the son of the most dangerous and powerful man in the country and city of New York.

"Haven't you learned by now, Mother?"

"No, because as a mother, I keep hoping my daughter will find warmth in her heart, and love in this marriage."

"Then I'll keep disappointing you," I responded simply with a shrug.
My mother sighed, and walked off.

"Don't talk back to your mother," my father scolded.

I scoffed. "What do you care? Here soon I won't even be your problem anymore."

"You're right, and hopefully that young man will set you straight."
My dad wants me to be quiet, a little show girl. The definition of sit still and look pretty. But I refuse to be someone's doll.

"Getting into even more trouble, I see."
I recognized that voice with a fluttering in my chest.

"Jake," I smiled. Jacob, my big brother. He's been out of town doing some sort of business errand for our father.

"I'm here too," my sister added. My twin, Tessa. Get it? Tessa and Terra. Tessa's the golden girl. My parents love her, Jake too, but mostly her. It's hard to say I hold a grudge against my sister for it. We used to be so close, and when I turned nine everything changed. That's when my father began 'preparing me' to make them proud. To marry a mafia boss' son.
That's right. The Lincoln family runs the mafia of New York City. They're known for being ruthless killers, dangerous and violent. Insanely rich. The government at their fingertips. I guess the only good thing to come of this marriage is that I won't be the next in line's wife, but his little brother's. I've never even met him, my fiancés brother has been estranged for years.

"So how was Italy?" I asked.

"It was beautiful. Rome is gorgeous, I'll have to take the two of you sometime. If you can ever get away from your husband for a week," Jacob laughed.

"Where is he, by the way?"

"Oh, right. I would know," I replied to Tessa bitterly.
I was about to walk right on out of this celebration when someone- none other than my fiancé himself- grabbed hold of me.

"Where are you running off to Princess?"

"Away from you," I spat. Sure he was handsome, silky and chocolaty short brown hair with icy stone blue eyes, and at least a six foot tall muscular figure. Christian Lincoln was also a massive jerk.