Chapter 8

Don't worry Terra, I'll make sure Wesley won't be lonely.
Come lover boy. [don't tell my man that either]
But Wesley is so cuteeee.

————————————————————————

The two hours went by. I got glammed up, everything necessary to look good as a husband's wife. That's how it was for most people who would attend this wedding. I'm a quiet obedient woman, and I'm sure most think he only wants a wife for his self image.
I couldn't deny the dress was beautiful, but not particularly my style. My mother picked it out; my parents planned this whole thing. The dress was lace the color of ivory, backless, sleeveless, a v-neckline, and champagne floral appliqués.

My makeup was neutral, not like how I'd usually do it, though that was the whole point. Elegance was the goal. I can't have bold makeup, and my dark brown hair was pulled back into a neat low bun with strands of hair framing my face. Jewelry was limited, only a necklace allowed. I picked my birthday gift from Tessa without hesitation. My mother was hurt that it hadn't been the cross necklace she suggested I wear. I didn't care if I hurt her feelings, at this point, she wasn't much of a mother to me.
Because my father is a heartless person, he wouldn't walk me down the aisle. The person who was supposed to was my mother, but I changed plans.

There was a knock on the door. "Come in," I said, knowing who it was. Jacob came into my hotel room where my mother, Tessa, and I were. The makeup artist and hair stylist were already dismissed.

"What's he doing in here?" My mother asked. My mother is Mexican, which is why my siblings and I have such dark hair and brown eyes. Our skin is tanned, but not as nearly as much as hers due to my father's own heritage. He's American with Italian and Russian mixed in.
My mother is beautiful, no doubt. She has long, thick black hair with layers and side swept bangs, and dark brown eyes almost black. She wore a knee-length silver sleeveless dress covered in sequins.

"He's walking me down the aisle," I told her as he came to stand by me.

"What?" Her eyes filled with confusion and disappointment. "I thought-"

"Well I changed my mind. This is the one thing you and Father won't control about this wedding. Now drop it, I have a man to marry."
I walked out behind Tessa and Jacob and we exited the hotel. There was a black limo transporting us to the chapel.

When we arrived, we stepped out. The exterior of the building was white with large wooden double-doors and, of course, the painted window panes.
Tessa and my mother both went in and took their seats while Jacob and I remained outside until it was time to start.

"You okay?" He asked as his arm wrapped around mine.

"Yep."
The traditional music began and the doors opened up wide. I took a deep breath, and Jacob comfortingly held my hand through our wrapped arms.

As we walked slowly, I scanned the building. It was pretty, but not ideal for me. I'd always dreamed of a forest wedding, surrounded by trees, maybe a lake or a waterfall.
The pews had white garlands with strings of lights going along them and a small bouquet of white flowers placed at every other row. White flower petals lined the aisle on the crystal white tile floor. At the end, was a white table and on the wall behind it was a large wooden cross. Jacob released my arm and kissed my cheek, then sat down. I ascended the three stairs and was now standing at the front of the church, staring at Christian.

I didn't hear any of the preacher's words, my anxiety pulsing throughout me and I could hear my own beating heart in my ears. I found myself looking at Wesley, who sat in the first pew on Christian's side with their parents. There was an emotional war behind his eyes I couldn't understand, and for a second I wondered what was bothering him so much.
Seeing him gave me a sense of calmness, and my hyperventilating slowly began to dissipate. My ears then focused in on the pastors words as he got to the important part. Christian grabbed the rings and handed one to me. They were white gold, matching the oval diamond engagement ring on my hand. I slid his onto his finger, and he did the same with me.