CHAPTER 01- THE CAMPAIGN

Six years later…

“You said you wanted to talk to us about something,” Abhimanyu’s father asked after they settled down at the dinner table.

Abhimanyu looked at his sister, Anisha, across the dining table and said, “I need to take a few months off.”

His father looked shocked. “A few months? For what?”

“I want to go on a music tour in Mrs Vani’s honor. The funds raised from the concerts will go to the Cancer Research Foundation.”

“It’s a good thought, but why do you need to do a tour? Can we not donate to the foundation?” Abhimanyu’s father maintained a calm tone.

Abhimanyu looked at his father. “Because I want to. It’s not just about money, it’s to bring awareness…”

“You are needed in the office.” Abhimanyu was in line to the be the CEO of a multi-billion-dollar hotel chain in India.

Abhimanyu looked at his sister. “Anu can handle it, and I will make myself available for the important meetings.”

“How can a music concert be more important to you, especially when the board is watching you so closely?”

“They can watch me on their TV screens as well when I am touring.” Abhimanyu stood up to leave.

“Abhimanyu, don’t you think you are being unreasonable?” His father raised his voice.

Abhimanyu stopped and turned to look at his father.

“I lost my mother to cancer, and I cannot let the woman who is like a mother to me lose her battle with it.”

His father dropped his napkin on the table and stood up. “I don’t get the link. If it is funds, write them a check.”

“It’s awareness, Dad. The tour is going to be about bringing awareness, so people can learn the early signs and save lives. Mom didn’t know the early signs of her illness. If she had the awareness, she would have probably been with us today.”

His father froze at the mention of their mother who passed away when Abhimanyu and his sister were young. Abhimanyu looked at him for a long moment and nodded before walking away.

“Abhi, wait!” He heard his sister call out to him as he made his way to the front of the house.

“Anu, are you going to try to convince me not to do the tour?”

His sister shook her head. “I want to help. You are right about the awareness. I will take care of Dad. You go ahead with the tour.”

Abhimanyu smiled, reaching out to kiss her on her forehead. “Thank you.”

“I will take care of the logistics of the stay and travel.” Anisha smiled.

Abhimanyu shook his head. “I want to fund the tour, and I will have other sponsors fund the cancer foundation.”