CH13 WAS IT A DATE?

Akshara was a nervous wreck as she looked through her clothes, unable to decide what to wear. She suppressed the voice that asked her why it mattered and looked for a nice outfit.

Was this a date??

“No, it’s not,” she said out loud like she was talking to her inner voice that kept nagging her.

She finally settled on a long pleated, black skirt and a white silk blouse. Relieved that she chose something neutral, she ran into the bathroom to freshen up, and just as she was about to step out of her room, her mother called her.

She turned on her video and smiled at her mother. “Hi,Ma. Sorry I didn’t call you guys.”

“We got worried, baby. Where are you going at this time?” her mother asked.

“Ma, why do you get so worried? I am not a child.” She stepped to one side of the lobby in front of the elevator to complete the conversation with her mother.

“Vansh is not there, and you didn’t answer my call ten minutes ago.”

She rolled her eyes. “I don’t need a bodyguard, and I am sorry I missed your call. I was in the bathroom getting dressed.”

“Getting dressed to go where?” her mother sounded anxious.

“Relax, Ma. I am going to go get dinner, and I am late. I should go.”

Her mother was visibly pissed.

“Why are you going out this late at night by yourself? Why don’t you order room service?”

“Ma, I am not going by myself. I have another band member meeting me there.”

“Akshara, what are you doing?”

“Ma, stop. You are overreacting. I am not a child.”

As if her father picked up on the tension, he came into the screen.

“Naira, calm down. Akshara, what is going on?”

“Dad, Mom is paranoid about me going out for dinner. It’s so boring to eat in the room by myself. She still thinks I am seven years old.”

“Akshara, I want you to apologize to your mother for raising your voice at her.” Her father’s voice was calm.

She took a deep breath and said, “Ma, I am sorry. I shouldn’t have yelled at you.”

Her mother shook her head, still angry, but her father continued to talk.

“Akshara, your mother is worried because you are so far away from us.”

“I know but—”

Her father interjected.