| 03 | Only for so long

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄: 𝐎𝐍𝐋𝐘 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐒𝐎 𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐆

Two months later...

Madalyn skipped down the steps leading to the main courtyard of the prison. After two months living here, she had a routine for herself. There wasn't too much she had to do most days. The adults had to do most of the work.

But today, she had a different plan.

As she walked along the fence, her eyes strayed to the outer fence. Walkers were pushing against the fence in groups. A frown grew on her face at the sight. She knew the walkers were getting taken care of, she knew the fence would hold, and even if it didn't, they still had the inner fence.

But a tiny voice whispered in Madalyn's mind.

Nowhere is ever truly safe.

She turned her attention away from the fence. It was under control. Everything would be fine.

I am safe... I am safe... I am safe...

Madalyn turned a corner and found her target. All previous worries were forgotten, a smile forming on her face. "Daryl!" she shouted while jogging to him. He turned around to face her after sliding some gasoline into the back of a truck. "You're going on that big supply run today, right?"

"Mhmm," he hummed, looking down at her. A mischievous grin found its way onto her face.

"Please, let me go with you."

"Nah. No way, kid." He shook his head, turning away. Madalyn groaned while reaching forward and pulling on his arm.

"Pleaseeeee," she begged, dragging out the word. "I want to help."

"No. You're nowhere near ready, and you're still a kid." Madalyn let go of his arm and crossed hers. She had known Daryl for two months at this point. She's seen how he acts around most people. Generally closed off and impatient. But not around her. He was always kind to her and patient. She still had yet to figure out why. Perhaps because of what she told him her first day here.

The world may never know.

But Madalyn Taylor made it her mission to be Daryl Dixon's best friend. Well, after Carol.

"I'm not a kid, first of all. Lizzie and Mika are kids," Madalyn stated. "And I survived out there on my own for a while. I can handle myself. I just want to help. I hate being seen as useless just because I'm not an adult."

Daryl considered her words for a moment before shaking his head and sighing. He knelt down so she was looking down at him. "How 'bout this, Madalyn? Tomorrow, I'll take you on a small supply run. Just the two of us so you can see what it's like. Hm?"

Madalyn smiled brightly. "I can do that. You have to promise though." Daryl didn't look amused.

"You're lucky I'm even gonna take you. I ain't promising nothing."

"You're such a loser," she grumbled. Daryl shook his head, but she swore she saw the smallest of smiles form on his face. Yep, this was definitely going to be her best friend.

"Madalyn!" Carol shouted from behind Madalyn. "Don't you have things you should be doing?" Madalyn rolled her eyes so only Daryl could see. He tightened his lips, trying not to smile.