| 63 | Past discomforts

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄: 𝐏𝐀𝐒𝐓 𝐃𝐈𝐒𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐒

...evan hayes...madalyn dixon...

madalyn dixon

EVAN

Being watched was something Evan wasn't exactly a stranger to. The Saviors seemed to constantly be watching him simply because he happened to be Simon's stepson. But recently, he felt their stares all too intently. He knew it was because Simon was having his men watch Evan. The psycho couldn't let his secret about what he did to those people at the junkyard come to light.

Evan decided to completely ignore these men's existence. Simon didn't trust him, and he shouldn't. Once he finds out whatever Simon is hiding, he'll go straight to Negan. He will get the truth to the Saviors' leader at whatever cost.

He turned a corner and immediately crashed into someone. He stumbled back, scowling at whoever it was. But the scowl quickly fell when he saw who it was.

"Dwight?" Evan questioned. "Where the hell have you been?"

"Tryin' to get back here," Dwight replied. "Got ambushed back at Alexandria."

Evan narrowed his eyes suspiciously, but he said nothing on the matter. Instead, he asked, "Where's Nick?"

Dwight shook his head, and the words Evan never expected to hear tumbled from his mouth. "They got him. He's dead."

Dead.

Nick was... dead?

For a year, Nick had been the only person who didn't see Evan only as Simon's stepson. He was annoying, sure, but he was better than everyone else in this damn place. And now he was gone. They killed him. Unless Dwight was lying, but why would he lie about that? Lying wouldn't give him any sort of advantage over anything.

Nick was dead. Simon was working on betraying Negan. Simon was using Evan to get what he wanted, and it was working. The cards were not playing in Evan's favor, and they hadn't been for a long time. Everything was just fucking awful.

"Sorry, kid," Dwight added.

"Don't be," Evan snapped. "He wasn't my friend. And don't ever call me kid." He pushed past Dwight and stormed down the hall. His heart pounded in his chest as he felt his hands begin to shake. What the fuck?