| 14 | The wrath of God

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍: 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐑𝐀𝐓𝐇 𝐎𝐅 𝐆𝐎𝐃

Madalyn watched while Sasha exited the church to look for Bob. She had said he went to get air or something but was taking longer than she thought.

Madalyn tried not to think of the worst scenario. He was probably fine. He had to be. ...right?

She turned to where Daryl was but found him gone. She frowned and looked around the church quickly. When she didn't see him anywhere, she started to panic. "Daryl?" she called out while standing up.

The people around her picked up on her distress. Rick placed his hand on her shoulder while looking around the church, too. "Did anyone see him leave?" he asked.

"No. Carol's gone, too," Glenn answered. Madalyn started picking around her nails.

What if the people from Terminus took them? What if they just left? Daryl wouldn't leave without saying goodbye to her, right? What if they were in trouble? What if... what if... what if...

Madalyn felt her heart quicken. All the laughter and chatter was dead. The whole group was on high alert again. Can't they just have one night?

"We need to get Sasha," Rick stated. He placed both of his hands on Madalyn's shoulders and turned her to face him. "We'll find Daryl, okay? He can handle himself, you know that. I'm sure he's fine." Madalyn nodded, trying to show more courage than she felt.

Rick left her and picked up his gun and flashlight. He gestured to Tyreese, and the both of them left the church. Madalyn sucked in a sharp breath, her eyes planted on the door.

Rick was right. Daryl knew how to handle himself. Wherever he was, he would be okay. So... why was Madalyn so scared of him being gone? Why was she so scared of anything happening to him?

'Ain't nothing gonna happen to me, kid.'

He would be okay. 'Just for her.' He'd said it himself.

Madalyn looked to the right at Carl and joined him on the pew. He gave her an encouraging nod that she tried to copy. This time... it felt like she did better than she usually did.

The group inside the church was silent until the doors squeaked open. Madalyn shot her head around to look and saw Sasha, Rick, and Tyreese walk in. Sasha walked down the aisle, straight to Gabriel.

"Stop," she said. Gabriel froze and looked at her in confusion. "What are you doing?" Gabriel frowned while looking around the room briefly. "What are you doing?" Sasha repeated. "This is all connected. You show up,―" She pointed her finger against his chest. "―we're being watched, and now three of us are gone."

Gabriel looked downright horrified. Madalyn didn't think he had anything to do with that. Yes, he was hiding something, but he looked far too scared to have done anything that was happening to them now.

Or he was just a very good actor.

"I..." Gabriel tried to say. "I don't... I don't have anything to do with this."

Sasha pulled out her knife, causing Gabriel to back up in fear. Madalyn sat up straighter while placing her hand on her own knife, just in case. Tyreese shouted. Abraham had to hold back Rosita who tried to rush forward. Carl placed his hand over the top of Madalyn's.