| 67 | Kill or be killed

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍: 𝐊𝐈𝐋𝐋 𝐎𝐑 𝐁𝐄 𝐊𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐄𝐃

TRIGGER WARNING: major depiction of physical abuse

(if you don't feel comfortable reading that, please let me know and i'll summarise the chapter for you<3)

...evan hayes...

evan hayes

In his sixteen years of life, Evan managed to lose everyone he had cared about.

First, it had been his father. Evan had only been eleven years old when he and his mother got the news that their family of three had been reduced to a family of two. Then it had been any friends he had. After the dead took control of the earth, Evan never saw anyone he had known before again. They could be alive or dead. It was a question Evan wouldn't ever know the answer to.

He had been fourteen when he watched his mother die. Fourteen when he watched his only family brutally killed. Fourteen when he lost his home.

Now he was sixteen living with the guilt of being the reason his only friend was most likely dead.

Nick was a traitor, but he had been Evan's friend nonetheless. Nick had left Evan, but if given the opportunity, Evan would leave as well, regardless of who he left behind. Nick had just gotten his sister back, and Evan had robbed him of the life they could've had.

There was surely a place in hell for him. The idea of God and heaven had never been something Evan truly believed in. His father had. He'd tried to teach Evan about those things, but Evan's mother didn't believe in any of it so she made sure to tell him to just believe in what he wanted. It led to quite confusing beliefs.

Perhaps God existed. If he did, he wasn't kind or merciful as people liked to say he was. He was cruel and vicious. He didn't care about people. Heaven was just a place to comfort people when they died. Few people gained access to those pearly gates. Evan certainly wouldn't. He'd spent eternity in the flaming pits of hell reaping the consequences of his sins.

Evan rubbed his temples, wincing when he pushed too hard with his right hand. Neither the swelling nor the pain had gotten any better. Frankly, it was worse. He'd already prepared himself to never be able to use his right hand without pain if he didn't see a doctor soon.

Which wasn't possible since the Sanctuary had no doctor.

The god that Evan's father believed in was surely laughing from wherever he was.