| 29 | The boogeyman

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄: 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐎𝐎𝐆𝐄𝐘𝐌𝐀𝐍

...madalyn taylor...

madalyn taylor

"I told him," Madalyn mumbled. The front door opened with a slam, and Madalyn caught sight of Daryl, Glenn, Maggie, and Abraham rushing up the stairs with their guns raised. "I told you!" She pointed at Daryl. She had been so caught up in Rick and Michonne that she nearly forgot about the man sitting at her feet.

"It's okay," Michonne assured while raising her hand toward the others.

"You said we should talk," Rick said as he focused his gaze on Jesus. "So let's talk."

After Rick and Michonne got fully dressed, they all met at the dining table in the house. Madalyn sat in the chair next to Carl, her eyes trained on Jesus. Carl's and Madalyn's hands were loosely interlocked under the table. "So, how'd you get out?" Rick asked.

"One guard can't cover two exits or third-floor windows," Jesus explained. "Knots untie and locks get picked. Entropy comes from order, right?" Impressive.

"Right," Darl said from where he stood by the wall.

"I checked out your arsenal," Jesus added. Just how long was he free? "I haven't seen anything like that in a long time. You're well-equipped, but your provisions are low. Very low for the amount of people you have. 54?"

"More than that," Maggie corrected.

"Well, I appreciate the cookie," Jesus added. "My compliments to the chef."

"Yeah, she ain't here," Daryl grumbled.

Jesus turned in his chair so he was facing Daryl. "Look, we got off to a bad start. But we're on the same side―the living side. You and Rick had every reason to leave me out there, but you didn't. I'm from a place that's a lot like this one." Madalyn sat up straighter in her seat, intrigued. "Part of my job is searching out other settlements to trade with. I took your truck because my community needs things, and both of you looked like trouble."

Madalyn couldn't hold back the laugh that escaped her. They all gave her a look while she hid her grin and mumbled apologies.

"I was wrong," Jesus continued. "You're good people. And this is a good place. I think our communities may be in a position to help each other."

"Do you have food?" Glenn asked.

"We've started to raise livestock," Jesus replied. "We scavenge, we grow. Everything from tomatoes to sorghum."