| 06 | It was never gonna be okay

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗: 𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐍𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐆𝐎𝐍𝐍𝐀 𝐁𝐄 𝐎𝐊𝐀𝐘

Madalyn never had to defend the office block.

Rick and Carl managed to take out all the walkers. And any stragglers were killed off by Daryl and Michonne when they got back. Madalyn had waited at that door until Carl came rushing in to tell her they solved the problem. She nearly burst into tears in pure relief, but she only smiled brightly and said, "I knew you would."

Whether or not that was a lie, Madalyn still didn't know.

The next morning was calm. They had cleared all the walkers out of the prison the night before. She had heard that medicine was being administered to everyone still alive in cell block A. It was all good.

Currently, she was sitting on the floor next to Beth. Maggie had arrived not too long ago after being with Glenn. And Carl was sitting in front of Madalyn and Beth with Judith in his arms.

"You did a good job, Madalyn," Carl said suddenly. Madalyn stared at him incredulously.

"Me? I didn't do shit," she said, earning a glare from one of the adults in the room. "You and your dad did everything."

"Maybe. But, still, you ran out there without a second thought and did what you could." He smiled at her. Madalyn felt her heart twist. Shit.

"You're braver than most people, Madalyn," Maggie said causing Madalyn to look up at her. There was something genuine about Maggie's words. It brought a smile to Madalyn's face. She looked back at Carl then at her hands.

"Thank you," she whispered. Perhaps everything would be okay. Madalyn had been repeating those words to herself for days now. Maybe they were true. They just had to―

An explosion rattled the building, sending dust falling from the ceiling.

Nevermind.

Carl was the first one up, handing Judith to one of the adults in the room. He ran out of the room, Madalyn, Maggie, and Beth hot on his trail. Madalyn's heart hammered in her chest while they raced out of the office block and into the courtyard. Carl already had his gun out, but Madalyn only kept her hand on hers.

"Get back!" Madalyn heard Rick shout. She saw him, Daryl, and Tyreese running toward them from where they stopped by the gate. The three men slowed down until they were right by the rest of them.

Madalyn turned her attention away from them and looked out beyond the gate, beyond the field. Right outside the fence were maybe six cars and people standing around the cars and on top. Madalyn couldn't tell from the distance, but she was pretty sure they were all holding guns. But her eyes were fixed on what was in the middle of all the cars.

There was a man... standing on a literal tank.

Madalyn's eyes grew round like saucers. How the hell did someone get a tank?!

They all stood at the gate, staring at the people. Madalyn looked to her right at Carl, but he only gave her a glance before looking back at the man with a tank. She turned back to the man and squinted to get a better look at him. She was pretty sure he had an eyepatch over one of his eyes. There was only one person she had heard of that had an eyepatch...

The Governor.

Is this the man that terrorized them before Madalyn arrived? Has he come to take everything from them? Had Madalyn been right?