| 64 | Anger and vengeance

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑: 𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐑 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐄

...multiple...

multiple

Madalyn and Jase stood atop the Hilltop wall, listening as an air horn sounded in the distance. That was the signal. The signal that the Saviors were on their way. Madalyn glanced up at the sky. The Saviors had some good timing on their part. They'd probably reach the Hilltop after the sun had disappeared under the horizon. They'd use the cover of darkness to their advantage. But then again... the people of Alexandria, the Hilltop, and the Kingdom would too.

"You gonna be with Daryl?" Jase asked.

"If I had my bike, yes," Madalyn responded. "But it's still at Alexandria. Hopefully not blown to pieces."

"And you trust Nick? He's not gonna turn on us, right?"

Madalyn looked over her shoulder and scanned the interior of the Hilltop until she found Nick. Maggie didn't want him to help at all, but Jesus had been more than willing to let him do something, albeit without letting Maggie know. Madalyn wasn't entirely sure what job Jesus had given Nick, but he looked busy.

He didn't even look out of place. Madalyn hadn't realized it before, but when he was with the Saviors, he looked like he didn't belong. But here... It was like he had always lived among these people. If she didn't know any better, Madalyn would have assumed that Nick had always been a part of one of the three communities and not the Saviors.

"Trust is a strong word," Madalyn finally said while turning back to face the field outside of Hilltop. "It should never be earned easily. But Nick won't turn on us. That I know."

Jase hummed in response. "Just be careful. He is still a Savior."

Madalyn said nothing. She touched her pocket and felt the letter still tucked inside of it. She should read it. A million things could go wrong when the Saviors arrived. Madalyn might not see the light of the next day. None of them might. Did she really want to die not knowing what Carl wanted to tell her? But then again... if the universe was kind for once in its existence, she would be reunited with Carl after death. He'd be able to tell her that way.

Madalyn let her hand drop back to her side. When the battle was over, she'd read it.

~*~*~*~