| 61 | Cut our losses

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐘-𝐎𝐍𝐄: 𝐂𝐔𝐓 𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐋𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐄𝐒

TRIGGER WARNING: physical abuse(?) (i'm not entirely sure if it can be considered as abuse. please let me know if it's not)

...evan hayes...

evan hayes

Evan would never in a million years admit that he found the Sanctuary just a little more bearable when Nick was around. Multiple times he wanted to plug his ears whenever Nick was talking. He'd contemplated accidentally pushing him off the catwalk. He had actively avoided him at least twice before. But when Nick was around, Evan didn't feel quite so alone.

Nick talked a lot, but sometimes it was what Evan needed. Just to listen and not think. Nick was far nicer to him than most of the people in the Sanctuary. Nick was annoying, but he wasn't as horrible as Evan once believed, he was quickly realizing.

Nick had gone with Negan and some others to Alexandria after Eugene helped clear the herd. They had been gone through the night and arrived back in the early morning. But Nick hadn't been with them.

Evan figured he was probably given some other task. He was fairly certain Nick had been assigned to Dwight's group, and he hadn't arrived back either. Surely, they were just running another errand for Negan. Nick would come back. He somehow always did.

"Evan! We've got a job to do." Simon's grating voice reached Evan's ears.

For a second, he considered throwing himself off the catwalk. Hitting the concrete below him seemed far more pleasant than having to endure whatever Simon had planned. Simon reached him before he could do anything to get away from him, though.

When Evan looked at Simon, he could instantly tell the man was pissed. From the way he worked his jaw back and forth to his tense shoulders to his nasty glare.

"From Negan?" Evan questioned.

Simon nodded. "Those garbage people need to be put back in their place. And you need a real taste of what we are supposed to do." Simon grabbed Evan's shoulder roughly and began to lead him along the catwalk.

There was really no argument that Evan could give. Simon had made up his mind that Evan would be going with him. He tried to shrug Simon's hand off his shoulder, but the man only tightened his grip. Evan scowled. Today was going to be a long day.

~*~*~*~