| 68 | Satisfaction

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐘-𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓: 𝐒𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐒𝐅𝐀𝐂𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍

...evan hayes...

evan hayes

After Evan told Negan everything he needed to know, he half-expected the man to storm straight to Simon to kill him. He wondered if Negan had wanted to but restrained himself. It seemed likely with the way he had grown impossibly tense and angry.

But Negan was a careful man. He didn't act without thought. The wheels were always turning, and plays for victory were always forming. Surely, he had a point to make, and killing Simon right away wouldn't help him. He had to calculate his play carefully, leaving no chance of losing.

So, Evan did what he was told and met Simon in the courtyard the next morning.

No one questioned his bruised face. No one commented on the fact that any time Simon moved Evan nearly flinched. No one noticed the way Evan's hands―hand since he could barely move his right one without waves of pain―flexed repeatedly. No one saw anything amiss. Perfect.

"If you're here right now, you're in," Simon addressed from the middle of the circle. "We can talk about approaches and finesse, but you are in. No takebacks. We need to make this quick, quiet, and respectful. Man's done a lot for us. He deserves that."

Simon turned to Dwight and pointed at him, saying, "You... have some legitimate personal issues with the man. The kill is yours if you want it. Something quiet. I mean, not a knife. Can't make it that personal. A silencer." Dwight shifted on his feet uncomfortably as Simon's eyes drifted over to Evan. "And if you don't want the kill, I'll let Evan have it."

Simon's gaze remained on Evan for several painfully long seconds. Evan looked toward his feet, trying to stop the moments from the night before from replaying in his mind.

"We call a meeting. And that's it," Simon continued while scanning over his followers. "The next order of business is to set the break, to start the healing. The catalyzing event to facilitate that is the destruction of the Hilltop and its residents. We'll make it a monument of compliance. Sorry, Gregory."

Gregory grimaced. Evan wasn't sure how that man was still alive. He'd switched sides more times than Evan could remember. Plus, Evan was certain the man couldn't even kill one of the dead.

"And then... we get on with our lives."

Negan had told Evan he would know when it was time. And Evan knew.