Chapter Six

Friday

I feel tired and sore as I wake up from yesterdays, cleaning session but I also feel really ill. I know that wasn't because of the cleaning session, I must be catching something.

I go to get some medication but I realise that I have not used medication in months, nor would I.

I put some socks on and grab my phone, keys and airpods and walk to the Shepherd's after locking my door.

Their mom answers the door and when she sees me, she smiles and tells me to come in.

"Are you okay? You look a little pale." She says and I look in the mirror.

"I don't feel so good Paisley." I say as I start to feel a little dizzy.

"Dacre, please come downstairs!" Paisley shouts and my head pounds when she shouts.

I can see Dacre rush downstairs and when I see him, my eyes are barely open anymore and I feel myself falling.

"My God, is she alright?" Dacre asks. It feels like I'm floating right now. I think he's holding me because I never hit the ground.

A cold hand reaches my head and it feels good.

"She's burning up Ma, we need to get this hoodie off." He helps me upstairs. "I need to call Mais."

I manage to open my eyes.

"Please get me a long-sleeved T-Shirt. I don't feel comfortable just wearing my tank top." Dacre nods and puts me in the bathroom on the toilet seat and then hands me a loose pyjama top.

He closes the door and I take my hoodie off and put the pyjama top over.

I leave and I feel lightheaded again and Dacre guides me to the closest room, which I know for a fact is Donovan's because Donovan leaves the en-suite and stares at me.

"What's up with her?" Donovan's asks and I feel my headache coming up again. I forgot how annoying he was.

"She's ill with something and she can't stay standing for any amount of time. She's super warm so I'm keeping her in here as your room can be aired out the most. I need to call Maisie, I'll be back." Dacre leaves and I'm suddenly alone with Donovan.

"Take some advil and suck it up." Donovan is so simplistic.

"You're such a smooth brain." I tell him through my ailments and he tries to think of an insult but is cut short by his sister walking into the room.

Delaney was a nurse and she knew what was up when it came to me, well as much as the fact that I couldn't take medication, she didn't know why but she knew enough.

"You're going to have cover with just a thin sheet, okay?" She says and I nod. She takes my temperature. "My gosh girl, you're burning up."

"Get her to take some medication!" Donovan says if a little too loud and I rub my head.

"First of all, stop being so loud and secondly, leave it alone. She's not taking medication." Delaney gets up and fiddles around in another room.

"You're not ill, get off my bed." He says and he pokes me and I turn around. I can't deal with his stupidity right now. He really pisses me off and he knows it.

"Donovan, leave her alone!" Delaney says and Dacre follows after her.

"I know you have that outing with your friends today so stop pushing your luck before I tell mom to make you stay home." Dacre says and Donovan sobers up.

"Okay but why did you give her my top, why not one of yours?" Donovan is nitpicking.

"I don't live here smartass, neither does Delaney and I had to chose between your reasonably nice clothing or those ratty pyjama tops dad chooses to wear. She's ill, so for once in your life, show her some compassion." Dacre is pissed off and so is Delaney.

"Look Donovan, just get ready for school." Donovan does so and I close my eyes.

Delaney brings me her phone.

"Hello?" I ask and there's a shuffle at the other end of the phone.

"Oh baby, how are you feeling now?" My aunt asks and I sigh a breath of relief.

"Not any better. I just feel kind of fuzzy." My head is hurting just talking on the phone.

"Okay, I'll leave you be darling. I can tell you're in pain. I'm coming over to see you this evening, is that okay?" She asks and I nod even though she clearly can't see me.

I put the phone out to Delaney.

"She's in pain, she nodded so I'm assuming she said yes to whatever you asked. Yeah, yeah, yeah I know so it might make recovery a little harder. No that's fine. Yeah, okay, I'll speak to you later, bye." Delaney puts her phone away.

"I'm going to work, I'll be back during my break and mom will be here to check on you throughout the day. Your aunt and your cousins gave you a strict order to not go back to your house because then you'll be alone and they don't want that and neither do we. If you need anything to eat, press the buzzer on the nightstand." I look at the buzzer and she motions for me to press it.

I can hear a buzz downstairs.

"That's so cool." I say and I laugh a little bit.

"It really is. My parents created this system when we were younger so that if we needed anything urgently or when we were ill, help was just a second away." Delaney seems emotional at the mention of her childhood.

"Are you okay?" She's not alright.

"Yeah, I'll be fine. Let's focus on you and you getting better." She says and she sanitises her phone and then waves and leaves.

Donovan finally gets out of his bathroom and even though he's very, very good-looking, with a strong, attractive, face with subtle boyish looks, broad shoulders, I'm not interested. He's put me in a sour mood recently and he's probably the reason I'm ill right now from all the stress I've been put under due to him.

I really want to go back to my house but I can't so I just stare at a wall.