Chapter Thirty-Four

Wednesday

As I'm walking to the gym, I see a commotion on the street over but I don't want to look. I don't want to get involved.

I do however have to get involved when I hear Donovan shouting with some other guy.

I cross the road and cut through the crowd and see Arthur and Donovan getting into it.

Donovan's about to punch Arthur when I step in and tell the crowd to break it up. None of them do.

"You, I'll talk to you later. Go back to your apartment. You are not trusted enough to walk back with him." Arthur walks off and I grab Donovan and push him out of the crowd.

"Unbelievable, the two of you!" I circle around the apartment complex, pulling Donovan around by his arm.

We're walking along when a group of people approach us and I can tell this isn't good.

I hold down on my necklace for a minute as we approach and then try to walk the other way by crossing the road but they follow us there.

"Where are we going?" He asks and I shush him.

I start walking quicker and they start following us quicker so I grab Donovan's hand and run until they're out of sight and I just sit in the police station.

Two people walk in and straight to the police officers.

"We lost them." They were the ones following us. I turn to Donovan who is just as shocked as I am. I let go of his hand and stand up.

"You lost us? Why did you follow us?" I ask and they turn around.

"It's him. He's the one who did it." It's somebody who's as young as us, if not younger. "He was the one who attacked Maddy on 9th and Lex on Tuesday at 1am."

I look at Donovan. I speak up.

"Oh he did. Let's see Maddy's injuries then." The girl who's standing next to the guy who just accused Donovan of assaulting a girl, turns around and shows her bruises.

Sergeant Tuckson walks over and I look at them.

"Oh, Donovan did that to you on Tuesday last week at 1am?" I ask as I pretend to be concerned about it.

"Yeah, he did. How could you even hold his hand?" She says smugly.

"I was running from you guys and protecting him. I'd never hold his hand willingly." I poke the injury hard. She's shocked but not hurt. I rub the bruise a little and show Sergeant Tuckson the makeup on my finger.

"Don't accuse him of anything again." I say before motioning for Donovan to go to the police officer and make a statement.

I wait around for him and when he comes backs he tells me that the police officer wants to take my statement.

"I'm not doing that." I tell Tuckson, who's the 'officer' Donovan gave his statement to.

"Well, Donovan's statement isn't that great." Tuckson is lying and even if he isn't, I don't care. I don't like the police that much and I certainly don't trust them.

Carter, Dacre and Damien were the only police officers who I like. I certainly didn't like this department of officers.

I leave the police station and Donovan follows behind like a lost puppy.

Arthur and Howlett are there.

"You two are causing me so much stress and I am the actual delinquent here. If you guys fight, do it in private or whatever." I walk ahead of them and Howlett and try to ignore them but when they start getting into it again, I have to turn around to tell them to stop it.

They start again.

"Cut it out!" I shout before going to the gym and warming up.

I go the punching bag and punch the shit out it before going to the weights and doing all that shit.

It's freeing and I do a couple more activities before finishing with an hour on the treadmill.

I was sweating buckets by the end of it and jump into the shower at the gym and getting changed into my pyjamas.

I grab all my stuff and go back to the apartment and when I walk in, Arthur and Donovan are still getting into it.

"Okay both of you sit the fuck down. Arthur on the right, Donovan on the left." I get into the armchair and look at them. "What is going on? Why are you guys brawling like there's no tomorrow because trust me there is one and I'd prefer if you'd take this fight to tomorrow or even never."

"Do you know how long I've known Donovan?" Arthur asks me and I nod.

"Must be 11 or 12 years or so now." I respond.

"Yes and do you know for how much of that time he's been drinking?" Arthur looks at Donovan and I shake my head.

"Oh my gosh! You two are friends." I say as I realise why Arthur has been so pissed off by Donovan.

"Yes, he's been drinking for six months and that's about six months that me and him have been beefing for." Donovan looks so ashamed.

"Everyone's judging me. They don't know how hard it is." Donovan says and I nod.

"You're right. They are judging you and it is hard. People who have never experienced what you've been through will never understand how you feel." I look at Arthur who is now equally ashamed.

"I guess I didn't think about it like that." Arthur stands up and leaves. "I think maybe it's best you two talk."

"I have to ask, you don't have to answer. What caused all of this. You're like every young adult author's wet dream. A happy, bubbly, boy and then suddenly turned to drinks and drugs. Something happened Donovan." He looks at me and nods.

"My uh... real parents died in a car accident. I'm adopted. I'm actually from... planet zorg." I tut and get up.

He thinks it's really funny but I don't. This was just me being sensitive.

I just sleep it off or try because at three am, I find that crying is the only way that'll get me to sleep.