Chapter Thirty-Seven

Friday

We weren't in school today because we were going to Stacie and Sully's wedding, who we'd gotten to know more over the two weeks we'd been here.

Well Courtney and I did, and tried to get Donovan and Arthur to do so as well because between both of them fighting and Donovan going utterly off the rails, it was sort of difficult but they had their moments. It was kind of weird to see them when they were getting along, when Donovan was sober, which was basically never.

I was more concerned than upset or annoyed but everyone else was angry with Donovan. I don't know what happened but I know I had to find out before he actually killed himself.

It's a clear there was a lot of guilt involved with his drinking and I knew the person I had to call to find out but she loved Donovan and wouldn't tell me.

I needed to focus on the wedding right now.

I throw on a loose, comfortable outfit and then pack my suitcase, the baby stuff and backpack, which consisted of just normal clothes, clothes for the wedding, makeup and then all my essential items, which after years in and out of various systems had actually gotten bigger out of pure anxiety.

I know what I needed but also what if I needed something and I didn't have it?

I leave my room and put my shoes and bag at the door because we were arriving early to help out. Donovan and I had to as part of their punishment but Courtney and Arthur offered to.

This was also just the day of setting up because surprisingly, not everyone had weddings that cost so much money you had to take out second mortgages, which Joni had done and my gosh was it satisfying to see her struggle after everything she had done to me.

I braid my hair and then get a hoodie and jacket on before getting Donovan and when I knock on his door, I get no response.

I knock again and announce my entrance and when I walk in, he's asleep and he looks so peaceful that I make sure he's actually breathing, which he is.

I sniff his breath and I can smell the alcohol.

I try to wake him up but he tells me to fuck off. I don't know what to do at a point.

Arthur calls me.

"Are you close to being ready?" He asks me and I sigh.

"I am. Donovan isn't. He's still asleep and we were meant to be leaving soon. This is starting to stress me out Arthur, what do I do?" I pace Donovan's room as I start to air it out and open the curtains and windows.

"Try and try again and if he doesn't get up, leave him be. You tried." I thank him for that terrible advice that would almost certainly cause an argument later and proceed to do exactly that.

Each time I try to wake him up, he tells me to go away in some sort of way and so I give up and just write a note and send a message before trying one last time to wake him up.

He doesn't budge and so I tell Howlett what's going on and he advices me to leave it as well, seeing as it's not the actual wedding yet and if he still didn't show up tomorrow, then we'd check on him again.

I make sure he can't roll over onto his back and then leave the room, my stuff and the bay secured.

I did it to myself many times and I know that if a drunk girl who'd sleep for sixteen hours and not budge once, that Donovan would be fine, but I'd still check on him.

We get there and there's a very small party of people setting up for this event and I know that Stacie feels like she's being judged, which she would be by all those hotshots who think they're a big deal but in reality contribute nothing good to this earth and to others lives.

I did a little bit of research on some of them and trust me, I was not let down by the depth on information in them and their investments and even scandals with some of them that had been neatly brushed away and forgotten about in the past.

I get a call from Dacre as I start setting up and I know exactly what he wants to know.

I put my earphones in as I talk and work.

"Hey Giana." He's troubled, everything about him is, his tone, his breathing and I know that if I was looking at him, he'd share that same look that Donovan makes.

"Hi Dacre."

"You know what I'm calling about. I'm sure you do." Dacre is certainly pissed off. "I'm not angry with you and I'm not even angry with Donny, I just need to know."

The baby starts to cry and I rock it which seems to do the trick.

"I need to know what you're talking about. Name an event and I may explain. You know how I feel about this sort of thing." The baby starts to cry again and I give it some 'milk.'

I rock it more afterwards.

"Okay it says you got nicked with a knife after you and Donovan got attacked by a gang." I giggle.

"An undercover gang, one with you're familiar with no doubt. I've definitely seen some of them in your graduation photo from the academy." I put the baby in the holder and then start dressing the table.

Dacre laughs and sighs in relief but when I tell him about the real accusation that was entirely fake, he gets concerned but after I tell him that this woman regularly accuses those who come to Juneau on exchange because she has nowhere else to go and tries to get into jail with her brother so they can have somewhere to stay, he's more upset at the lack of justice in this world.

I agree and we depart. I'm glad he didn't ask how I was.