Chapter Thirty-One

Tuesday

I go back the next day, which is brave of me even though I'm not a person who's ever been scared or hesitant.

I don't know whether it was a good thing that I didn't get angry or not because being angry sent my blood pressure up but being upset made me genuinely want to crumple into a ball and fall back into depression.

Depression for me meant drinking and drugs and I couldn't ever let it get to that. I might've been a delinquent and a criminal at some point but I was still just a girl.

We had PE first and I wasn't stupid, I got ready separate from the rest of the girls and made sure to lock my clothes up.

"Can't wait to see you fail fatso." This was definitely the girl who called me a stone-faced bitch.

"And who are you?" I raise an eyebrow before turning and walking away.

She yanks me by my hair in an effort for turn me around but I pull my ponytail out of her grip, adjust it and walk off.

"Okay guys, we'll be doing a military style obstacle course. Boys versus the girls. To start, we will have warm ups though because I do not want any of you screaming in pain and losing against these weak ass boys. I'm Coach Renata. Just put your hand up when I say your name." She does that and then starts us off on warm ups which I breeze through.

We eventually get to obstacle course and the girls line up on one side and the boys on the other.

Everybody starts to go and a time is called when someone finishes. The boys take the lead and then the girls and then the boys do and then it's my turn, there are three other girls who need to go.

I tell them, including the rude bitch, to go in front and they do so. They close the gap and then suddenly it's Donovan and I who I didn't really notice.

The smirk on his face tells me that he wanted us to go at the same time. The whistle goes off and we're off. The girls are screaming for me to go quickly and Donovan gets the same thing from his side but I finish much quicker.

When my time is called the girls erupt into cheers and when I walk back both coaches are waiting for me.

"You stand here and you... Donovan... stand here. Shake hands." I squeeze his hand super hard.

"Ow." He whispers.

"It's the least you deserve." I whisper back, still squeezing his hand.

"Okay you can stop now." The male coach says.

I uncurl my hand but he still holds it for a second. I take my other hand and pull his hand away.

Everyone laughs.

"Okay the winners are... the girls!" The girls celebrate. "You, Giana Blackwell, are a record breaker for this obstacle course, ever."

"That's nice." I say, I certainly wasn't any better because I could beat a record and the way I beat it was because I spent a whole year in military school.

"How are you so good at it?" The male coach asks.

"Practise." I respond.

"Yeah probably from all that strength training from beating up other inmates." Donovan mutters under his breath.

"I didn't quite catch that." Coach Renata says but if he tries again, the things I will do.

"Yeah, do you want to say that again?" I say as I twiddle my thumbs, waiting for him to repeat himself.

"You probably..." He doesn't get to finish his sentence because I'm lunging for him and he turns around to run away but I jump on his back.

"Go on! I dare you! Spit it out!" I shout and everyone starts to watch but I don't care, I'm not embarrassed or upset. I'm angry.

"Gia!" Arthur shouts as he comes over but I put my hand up.

Donovan manages to flip me over him while I'm distracted and I land on my bum but I get up and at now face to face with him and I don't hesitate to punch him.

He tries to run away but I jump onto his back again and pull his hair.

The whistles go off and I almost let go but I don't.

"To the principals office, now!" Both of them shout and I hold onto him and make him carry me there.

I finally let go of him after we get there and I pull his ear. He pulls my hair. We just go in that cycle over and over again until the principal opens his doors and Howlett and Stacie walk out.

"Never mind, we have to be here for this meeting." They both walk back in and we walk in after them and sit down in front of the principal.

"I would say pleasure to meet you guys but in the circumstances, it isn't. I'm Principal Werner." We both say our hellos and I'm suddenly less than impressed by my behaviour and for dragging Donovan in.

"I'm sorry for behaviour and I'm sorry Donovan for punching you and pulling your hair and ear and I will accept any punishment that comes my way but I don't want to talk about it, not with him." I would do it again, just not at school.

"Well your punishment will be detention, together because I know that Donovan provoked you. The coaches also want you guys to come to strength training practise each week. Compulsory." He types some stuff and I look at Howlett who gives me a look.

"What?! I apologised." I look back down.

"Which reminds that you should apologise, Donovan. You guys are going to have to get it together for the weekend as well." Stacie says.

"Yeah, I'm sorry." He says and I scoff.

"It's not like you mean it." I pick at my lip as I wait for the principal to hand us whatever he will and when finally does I read the wager, sign it and then look at the detentions I have and get up and leave.

This was going to be a long semester.