Chapter Twenty-Nine

Wednesday

Donovan was back to being a douche. I was starting to question his sanity because he was dipping in and out of moods like it was nobody's business.

I woke up to an empty house and was currently deep in rubbish which Donovan had made no effort to clean up. He said he has to run out for some groceries and still wasn't back two hours later.

Courtney and Arthur were currently helping me clean up and we'd gathered three full bags of trash and was still cleaning up more. After this, we still had hoovering and mopping and sanitising to do.

"Jess called me. Something about you not answering her calls." Arthur says tentatively, testing the air.

"Yeah. What did you say?" I look at him.

"I said you'd call her." He looks back at me, worry in his eyes.

"No, I'm not ready to speak to anybody else about this, even if she is my best friend. I don't want her or Maisie or Carter worried about me." I say as I tie up the bag that I'm using to clean up. "You call her."

"I will. Make sure she knows you're okay. It's just that you're not okay, are you?" He knows the answer but I shake my head.

"I'm fine." I put the bag with the others. "Oh I hate him so much."

"Yeah I heard he was meant to clean this. Part of his punishment." She shakes her head. "I've known him for a while now and this is the most unhinged he's been in... like ever."

"Yeah he said he went to get groceries..." I check my watch. "Three hours ago now. He's just being a douche bag to me and I do not appreciate it, at all. He did this to me when we were meant to do our project together, says he's going out for a bit and then ditches me for the whole day."

"We can hang out with you until he gets back." Courtney offers and I finally can smile a little.

"I love that idea but to be honest, I still need sleep." Complete lie. Half lie. I do love the idea to be honest but I want to be alone right now.

"Offers still standing if you have a change of heart. Let's get mopping." Courtney says and motions to Arthur to take the bags of trash and he does. She hoovers and then I mop after she's done and then Arthur disinfects every surface. There was a thick layer of dust before we even got to the apartment so we kind of needed this clean.

They eventually leave and I'm left in the house on the sofa, tucked under a blanket, watching the fish tank.

I could genuinely stare at anything and pass time but mainly, I was sad.

Donovan comes through the door and I can hear he's with a girl. I close my eyes and pretend to be asleep, making my chest rise and fall.

They don't notice me and go to his room.

Ten minutes later and they're literally fucking.

I get up and knock hard on the door.

"Shut the fuck up." The girl says and I open the door to get in. They're under the blankets by the time I get it.

"Get out." I say.

"No. Why should I?" She crosses her arms defiantly.

My mouth falls open when I see this woman. That's what she is, a woman.

I look around in the room for her stuff.

I find her purse and I open it and find her wallet and ID. I take a picture of the ID and them.

"Sleeping with a 30-year-old is a new low, even for you." I'm not impressed with Donovan and I can tell he's super embarrassed now.

I can hear someone in the apartment and I go for the door but am stopped short when Howlett bursts through the door with Arthur and Courtney behind.

"Oh my God! Get away from him." Arthur says as he hands Donovan's some clothes and Donovan puts them on under the sheets.

I look at the ID again.

"What the fuck!" I say. "Get out of the bed you bitch."

I go up to her and grab her by the arm.

A police officer comes in and they wait for her to put her clothes on, he then cuffs her and takes her away.

"Whats happening? Why is she being arrested?" Donovan asks and it takes me everything in me not to bodyslam him.

"You're so fucking irresponsible and that's harsh coming from me. You are never having anyone around here without my permission. No parties, no gatherings and certainly no girls until I've said yes because you clearly cannot make decisions for yourself. You could've got yourself fucking killed." Arthur puts a hand on my shoulder as he sees me angry. "What you did was so irresponsible. You could've died Donovan. I'll give you time to process that."

I leave the room and sit on the sofa, where the police try to take my statement but I don't want to speak.

If Arthur and Courtney hadn't noticed, if I wasn't here, Donovan might have been raped and murdered by Sally Sumpter, a wanted convict.

I just trudge through the whole day, utterly shocked. I can't imagine how Donovan feels right now.

I make some dinner and message him to come and eat some if he wants.

He shuffles out of his room and when I look up, I see a state of a boy who's profoundly confused and upset and when he sits down, his head tilts down and I see droplets fall onto the counter.

I can smell the alcohol.

"Would you like a little or a lot?" I ask, not sure if I'd get answer.

"A little bit... please." His voice cracks. He's sad drunk.

I put the plate of food in front of him and walk past him to go to my room but he grabs my hand.

Not a work is spoken but he just hugs me and cries.

"I'm sorry I was so harsh. I was just so shocked." I say but he shakes his head.

"I'm so scared. I could've been killed." He's basically sobbing.

I take him to his room and tuck him in and out a tissue, water and some advil I found in his room on the nightstand. I wipe his face with a wet wipe as he cries. I put the comforter and blanket over him and then turn on the lamp and turn off the main light so he can start to feel relaxed.

I make sure he can't roll onto his back one last time before leaving the room.