Chapter Thirty-Two

Wednesday

Now that people knew that I could bark and bite, they avoided me like the plague but I guess that's what I wanted.

I could tell that Lola was still pissed off with Donovan, so when she sat down at the table Courtney, Arthur and I sat down at, I wasn't too surprised.

There's a weird, awkward silence until she decides to speak.

"I don't know how you do it and if you want, you're free to come to my exchange house to spend the night with my exchange family." She is definitely not angry but upset.

"What's going on? You're upset." I say as I give everyone a little bit of my doritos, including Lola, who I know loves them.

She munches on them sadly.

"Thank you. He just doesn't tell me what's going on anymore, doesn't answer my calls, doesn't respond to my texts, he's ALWAYS drinking and smoking and you know what, he's rude now. He's always been a little bit catty but he's a straight dick now and I miss my best friend." She holds her head in her hands and Courtney pats her on the back.

"I don't really know how he's coping since the incident but it can't be good." Arthur says and Lola's head shoots up.

"Incident?" Lola asks and I watch as tears well up in her eyes as we explain what happens and then a year actually leaves her eye. She sniffs and tries to hold back her tears but it's not going very well. Her voice cracks. "He didn't even trust me enough to tell him."

I stand up and look around for Donovan and find him already with the popular kids.

I tap him on the shoulder and he turns around with a smile but when he sees that it's me, his smile falters.

"Come with me." I say but he laughs and shakes his head and the rest of the table laughs.

"Ooooh he's in trouble with the boring girl." A really annoying guy says, I don't even know who this is.

"Kick rocks pissboy." I grab Donovan's arm and whisper in his ear. "If Lola leaves this school more upset than when she came in, I guarantee there won't be anyone entering the apartment again because if you can't treat your best friend right then how can you treat anyone else right?"

"You can't manage that or guarantee that." He says.

"Oh trust me, I can." I let go of him and walk away because he's made his decision.

I sit back down and eat what I can of my food and offer Arthur the rest of it and he takes it.

I know people who notice find it weird but I know Courtney likes knowing that Arthur helps me out and in my eyes, that makes her a keeper.

I wish I could eat more because if I did go to restaurants, I'd be wasting money but I didn't really go to restaurants much. I'd like to go. Maybe if I ever get into a relationship.

I don't think that's likely for a while.

It's kind of sad because I maybe would have hoped that Donovan would become better because the attraction I had to him was not something I'd felt, ever.

Sure I'd fucked around a lot but I was just at an age where I was vulnerable and I wasn't just a little bit where I just had an iffy relationship with men, I was vulnerable to the point where I was drinking and smoking my life away, I was sleeping with, mainly other 14 year olds, but men did take advantage of me and I had no parents or support system.

Suddenly, I went from adoring the idea of a big family to hating it because I was shunned by one so as much I love my family, I couldn't stay around them and that's why I ended up moving out and the Shepherd's were such nice people but they made uncomfortable at the worst of times because my mind was still poisoned and my heart still hurt from all the terrible memories.

"It will be okay. You will be okay. The two of you will be okay. Something, and if not, someone will come and help him out of this rut. That's all it is. A rut." Seeing Lola was upset isn't something that should bother me considering we haven't really had a relationship but I think I was feeling the same thing.

"Yeah. That person is you." She says it quietly but I still hear.

Arthur and Courtney pretend they don't hear it but I saw their faces.

"What?" I ask.

"Oh. Nothing." Lola responds.

"No. Not nothing." Arthur says. "I genuinely think you and Shepherd could be a good couple and it's not you right now, it's him."

"How long have you thought this?" I ask and he gives me a look.

"Now that. That is a look that makes me think that there is more to this story." Lola nods at Courtney's statement and I look at them sheepishly.

"There is more to the story. There always is with Gia. That's why she's such an enigma." Arthur stuffs some food into his mouth to stop himself from talking more. He chews it and swallows it pretty quick. "This, is definitely not my story to tell and I stay true to my words, always."

"I kinda have to tell the story to Donovan first before I could even fathom telling you guys so it's not happening, not for now and not ever probably." I turn around and look at where Donovan is sitting, he's laughing and smiling and turns back to look at me.

I look to Lola who's looking at him and look back.

When she sees him look at her, her eyes shift downwards but then she stands up and walks away.

I turn back around and make sure he sees me.

"Dick." I mouth before turning back and we all get up, grab our stuff and Lola's and make sure she's okay.