Chapter Thirty-Nine

Friday

I make it back to the function room and start preparing decorations for the tables as I'd finally done all the flowers arrangements.

I suddenly saw why florists charges so much for weddings, to an extent.

Stacie's snobby mother walks in and turns her nose down at every single thing that is happening.

She looks at me and points. "You, change the flower from lavenders to lillies."

"I will not be doing that." I say as I continue decorating.

"What! That's outrageous. I'll get you fired if you refuse again." She crosses her arms expectantly.

"No. I will not be doing any such thing." I state and continue adding the lighting to the cute little tree I'm making for each table.

"Fine, I'm getting the manager." She walks off and I manage to do a few more before she comes trotting back with the manager.

The manager is already confused because I'm sure he's aware that this party is being decorated by the party.

"This woman is not helping me out. I need her to change the flowers as those lavenders are dreadful." She crosses her arms to the manager who's now slightly amused.

"First of all, you do not have any authority to change what goes on with anything in this room, you're not the organiser. Secondly, she doesn't work here and neither does any of these people in this room because your daughter is setting this up by herself with the help of her friends and family so I implore you to stop before we remove you from the premises. I need to leave now, good day Ms. Carlisle." I stand up and start placing the decorations on the table.

"These are so ugly. They need to get off the table." She tries to go and get the lavender out of the jar but I stop what she's doing.

"What are you doing?" I ask her and she crosses her stupid arms again.

"I'm taking these flowers off. Stacie can replace them." I call the hotel security and tell her she cannot do that. "Why can't I?"

"First of all, there is no chance she'll be able to get any flowers here in time for the wedding as it is tomorrow and secondly she would not be able to afford that."

I see a little smirk on her face and I know that this woman is just jealous.

"I have a feeling you know that and that you just want to do everything to sabotage this wedding. Why? Stacie is happy with Sullivan." She scoffs.

"She doesn't know happiness. She's going to be crying and crawling back to me after their marriage fails and collapses." She was projecting real bad.

"Oh like your marriage did?" I ask and she glares at me. "You're projecting and you're jealous of your own daughter who's immensely happy and that must suck to see for some as shallow as you. For some reason, you don't show love to Stacie at all and it's probably because you don't love her father at all. Before you try to impose on her wedding, sort out the issues in your own marriage first." The hotel security come and stand in here.

"What do you know about my marriage?" She asks and I shrug.

"I've read all about it and seen the tapes of both occasions as my parents went to the wedding of you and Mr. Carlisle and obviously your divorce from James Abernathy was publicised. Mr. Carlisle loves you and you deprive him of Stacie and her of him because you're jealous of their relationship. One you never got to have. You owe her a massive apology and even that will not fix what you've done to her." I walk away and the hotel security make sure that she doesn't do anything for the rest of the day and surprisingly she calls some people and they all come to help out.

When Stacie walks in, she's overwhelmed.

She sits next to me on the floor as I'm feeding the baby.

"What happened? Why is my mother helping out?" She is tearful. "Is that my dad?" She points him out and I see him and he smiles at her. He looks hesitant but he waves and looks to his wife and Stacie's mother who just continues working. "She never lets us interact. She is bipolar."

"I kinda grilled her about her behaviour. I guess she must be in some sort of trance right now and she'll probably be as horrible as she was to you before but for now, she's here for you." The baby starts to really cry and I start to look for a volume button.

Stacie stops me.

"Your teacher talks to me and Gibson. The baby is 'missing Donovan' and she said that she'd be tempted to extend your guys project to night duty until you've learnt how to share responsibility meaning a dip in both your grades." I stand up and go to the hotel room where Donovan is sober now and I drag him to his room and put the bracelet on his hand. I take the harness of me and put it on him and put the baby in. I hand him the baby bag and then go back downstairs.

I don't want to fail because of him.

We finally are done by ten and would've been done a lot later if her mother didn't get some divine intervention and chip in.

Courtney and Arthur had absolutely smashed the errands they needed to run and came to dinner as well and Donovan comes down with what he'd been doing all day, name cards and table cards and all of that and for a final touch, him and I set it up while he takes care of the baby.

He actually looks really cute with a baby but I shake that thought from my head. 

We all sit down for dinner which her parents pay for and we all prepare for the busy day ahead of us.