Chapter Twenty-One

Christmas Day

I put a black long-sleeve on and then some mom jeans on before putting on some black socks on.

I straighten my hair and do a ponytail before making my way downstairs and grabbing my black gilet and slip my black airforce ones on before making my way next door.

It was still cold as fuck and I go back in and put a hoodie on.

I write a card at my island before going to their house and knocking on their door.

I hand Damien the card when he opens the door and he thanks before ushering me inside.

"It's cold, isn't it?" Damien asks and I nod because it's so damn cold. "My parents said for you to stay here tonight, it's going to get super cold and the power will be going out. They'd rather you stay somewhere with other people than in that big house all by yourself."

"Okay sure."

"Just go through Donovan's room when you're grabbing your stuff." He says and I nod.

Everyone is scattered around the house and I go to see Maisie who's sitting on the couch.

I lay on her lap and she strokes my hair as we watch TV and laugh as all the funny scenes happen. Community was mine, hers and Carter's show. 

Carter hadn't been around that much recently but he promised he would now that he was going to be an uncle and he was also currently in the window next to the TV, pulling a face.

I get up and answer the door and hug him when he comes in.

"Hey. I'm glad to see you here. Come with me and grab your clothes." He says and we do so and then come back.

I lie back down on Maisie's lap and Carter sits nearer the opposite end of the sofa where my feet are, but not after greeting the Shepherd parents and giving Maisie a big hug.

He puts my feet on his lap and laughs along with us and when Delaney comes in, he stands up and kisses her and she sits next to him. It's a big ass sofa.

Donovan comes in and he lifts my legs up and sits next to Carter. There was so much space, he could've gone anywhere else and he decided to sit where I am and disturb me by lifting my legs up.

I look at Maisie who seems to have this little smirk on her face.

All of a sudden my phone rings. It's Jess.

"Hi Jess." I say and she shuffles on the other end. "Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas bestie boo, what are you doing?" She asks and I can tell she's getting ready for something.

"I'm at the Shepherds." I respond and she clearly is getting ready because I can hear her makeup brush against the palette.

"Yeah I'm getting ready, me and my boyfriend are going out to dinner. We managed to get an upgrade and we're in a nice hotel." She seems happy, I can hear it in her voice.

"I'm glad you got that upgrade. I wasn't too happy with the idea of that motel." I say as I start to get more comfortable and Maisie laughs.

"Tell Jess I said hello." Maisie says and I relay the message and Jess asks me to give my phone to her and I do so.

I watch community and when they're done talking, I say bye to Jess and how I hope she has fun and then cut the phone.

"How did you do that?" Donovan asks me and I divert my attention to him.

"Do what?" I'm sort of confused.

"If any of my siblings wanted to talk to my best friend, I'd not let them and then you didn't even want to see what she wanted to say."

"I don't care. Jess is her own person, Maisie is her own person and if Jess and Maisie want to talk, they should. I'm glad they get along." He still seems discontent.

"But what if they discuss you, does that not upset you?" He's being intentionally inflammatory but I look up at Maisie and laugh.

"I repeat the fact that they are their own people and if they do speak about me? I don't care. They care and love me, I know they'll speak about me just like I know that they have secrets from me. I just don't care. Maybe if you started valuing the opinion of those who do care and stopped thinking about those who don't, things would be better." I say the last part quietly so that he wouldn't get offended and also so that everyone else doesn't hear very well.

"Real nice advice, you're acting as if it's so easy." He's starting to raise his voice.

"Don't put words in my mouth, I never said that. You're right, it's hard but it's clear you're not up for advice so I don't know why I tried." I look back at the TV.

We all get called for dinner and again, I'm sat next to Donovan.

I roll my eyes internally and just take a small amount of food and eat it slowly.

Everyone talks and the alcohol comes out and I look at Donovan, he's eyeing up the alcohol and I shake my head.

He doesn't see me and when no one looks, grabs a vodka which looks like water.

Before he can drink it, I close my eyes and I think about how stupid I am for doing this and dunk my hand in the cup.

Donovan looks at me, horrified.

"Why did you do that?" He whisper shouts.

"You know why." I say as I take my hand out and wipe it with a tissue.

He stills drinks it and I shake my head.

Eventually the day comes to an end and I have to take Donovan and put him to sleep in his bed as no one else has really noticed that he's drunk.

After I know he's secure and won't roll onto his back or anything, I tell him that we need to finish the project and he nods and goes back to sleep, I get down and lie on the mattress next to his bed.