113.0: Baby, Me & Mom On The Case

A/N: This chapter is based on 8x14 All that Remains 

TRIGGER WARNINGS: M*RDER, ALCOHOL ABUSE, KIDNAPPINGS 

This whole chapter is a trigger warning! I wanted to do something new and different for this chapter, so it's different with how it's written and the style~ I'm just testing it out, so we'll see if I like this kind of style for future chapters!

"It sucks that it takes losing something important to make some people realize they need to change, but unfortunately that's how it is."
― Paula Stokes

Crystal laid happily on the chair, and her mom smiled at her. "Excited?" She was quick to nod, "I get to hear Kumquat's heartbeat." Hotch smiled and kissed her head, "And gender." Crystal waved him off, "We're not finding out until the baby shower, thank you very much. Garcia and Nick are having the time of their lives planning how to reveal it to us, and I'm not going to ruin their fun." Her mom laughed at this and the nurse smiled at them, "Alright, are we ready to hear this heartbeat?" Crystal was 10 weeks pregnant, and it was finally time to hear her baby's heartbeat. They technically could've tried at 9 weeks, but Crystal didn't want to be disappointed if they couldn't hear it just yet since it could've been faint.

Jack seemed just as excited as her, and he looked at the nurse. "Can you tell if Crystal is having twins too?" Crystal snorted at this, "Jack, if I for some reason show twins, I'm never letting your dad into my room again." He seemed puzzled at this, but Hotch just smiled. "Nothing, Jack. Crystal's not having twins, it doesn't run in the family." Her mom shrugged, "I have an uncle who was a twin."

"Mom, stop." Crystal gave her a look, and her mom just smiled. "Ready to hear the heartbeat?" Crystal held onto her hand, "Yeah, I'm ready." The nurse started the ultrasound, and the gel being cold on her stomach was something she'd never get used to. The nurse found Kumquat easily, and she started to type at something before they heard it. It was a rapid heartbeat, and Crystal stared at the screen. "It's so small." Hotch kissed her head, "A Kumquat." The nurse pointed to the screen, "So you can see your little baby has it's little feet and hands, and you can make out the face better now. Our test result from your blood sample will be sent to the person you asked for, would you like a photo?"

Hotch nodded, "Yes please, thank you." The nurse smiled, "Of course, you're a special couple to remember. Most people name their baby a constant nickname, but you two come every week with a new one." Crystal smiled tearfully as she stared at her baby moving a bit inside of her, "Can we record the heartbeat?" The nurse nodded, "Of course." Hotch took out his phone, and Crystal's mom moved to be by her side in his place. She rubbed her shoulder, "How are you doing? Did the clothes I send you fit nicer?" With Crystal's pregnancy going into her third month now, her body had quickly changed. For starters, she had to buy new bras and underwear. They didn't fit on her body correctly anymore, and Hotch had assured her that the weight was normal. "You're not eating too much, Crystal. You're growing our baby, of course the weight is needed and I love you no matter what you look like. Weight or no weight."

Her mom understood her self-consciousness, "I had four of you, trust me when I tell you that it's going to be weird seeing yourself different than you have in the past." She had sent Crystal a lot of comfortable clothes that had more room for her to move in, and she told her that pants would be hard to wear from now on. It was best to go ahead and get used to it now, so Crystal was currently wearing a purple maternity dress that just went past her knees. "They fit nice, and I like them. Thanks, mom. I like the snacks you recommended too." Crystal answered, and her mom smiled. "I'm glad, and let me know if you ever need anything. Your dad and I don't mind closing the bakery for a week or two if you ever just need someone there, okay? Pops would love to come too, so just let us know."