51.0: Grief Assessments

A/N: Continuation of 6x20 Hanley Waters 
WARNING: There's swearing

"A story only matters, I suspect, to the extent that the people in the story change."
― Neil Gaiman

Crystal sighed as she stepped out of the car, "Maybe it's a sign that we aren't meant to go to the station." They had been called to another shooting before they reached the station, Rossi chuckled at her. "Maybe."

The Chief walked over to them, "The officer's in critical condition." Hotch frowned, "Did anyone get a plate?"

"No, only partial description. She was driving a teal-green wagon."

Hotch nodded before taking out his phone to call Garcia, the Chief sighed as he looked at Rossi and Crystal. "This woman opens fire in broad daylight at a police checkpoint."

Rossi looked over at him, "She's desperate, this was an act of survival." Crystal nodded before motioning to the road, "Where does this road lead?"

"I-275, Florida highway patrol has traffic cams all the way to St. Pete. She won't go far."

Hotch walked over to them, "Two EMT's just got shot in Oakford park." Rossi sighed, "Where's that?" The Chief looked at them surprised, "That's in the opposite direction...she went back?"

Hotch looked over him, "She's on a mission, she's just getting started." They headed back to the car where Hotch opened her door again, Rossi gave him a look and Hotch shrugged at him.

___

They finally made it to the station, they were currently in the room with the board with the rest of the team. Reid pointed at the map, "Her emotional turmoil appears to be manifesting in the geographic pattern of her spree."

The Chief raised an eyebrow, "Meaning?"

"There's a reason she hasn't left." Hotch answered as he continued to look at the map, Reid nodded. "Her first was the gun store in west Tampa, then the security guard in Ybor city, then the officer at the checkpoint in riverside heights, then finally the EMT's in Oakford park."

Seaver sighed, "She's bouncing from place to place like a ball." Morgan shook his head, "There's no logic, she circled back after getting through a roadblock."

Rossi shrugged, "She's driven purely by emotion, she doesn't care about self-preservation or escape like she has nothing to live for." Morgan looked over at him, "Maybe she suffered a loss and is blaming someone for it."

Hotch turned to look at the Chief, "We're ready to give the profile."

___

"We're looking for a white female between the ages 30 and 40, driving a teal-green station wagon. But the only thing that matters is her behavior." Rossi stated and the Chief turned to look at his Unit, "Her behavior is random, she's all over the place. She could've escaped through the roadblock, but she circled back."

 Rossi shrugged, "That tells us she's got a score to settle here, today." The Chief frowned, "Like what?"

"When emotional decisions drive an unsub, it's usually connected to an incredible loss and the idea that there's nothing to live for." Morgan answered and Hotch gave a nod, "We believe that this woman's been through the devastating loss of a child."

Morgan looked at the department, "She woke up this morning, loaded up with bullets, and stole a gun. That's not a typical Wednesday."

Reid cleared his throat, "Today means something to her, she's lashing out at the hero, and we believe that's because she feels deeply betrayed by the one who let her down." Seaver nodded, "The fact that her anger seems to be focused on first responders instead of hospital personnel or doctors indicates that her child probably died in an accident."