24.0: Shared Bed & Conversations

A/N: Continuation of 5x21 Exit Wounds

"When you come out of the storm, you won't be the same person who walked in. That's what this storm's all about."

― Haruki Murakami

After putting their bags down, Garcia got to work while the others split up to their destinations. Rossi and Reid went to the coroner while Hotch, JJ, and Crystal headed to the station. When they arrived the sheriff took them to the holding cells, "Those two got into an altercation last night. Bob's our newest resident here, so Tom figured that he's doing the killings. He uh, he smashed a booze bottle against Bob's head." 

The sheriff sighed as they walked back over to Crystal and JJ, "Look, I don't know what to do." Hotch nodded, "Have you thought about having a town meeting? Get everyone together and talk about the facts on the case?"

"The towns to spread out, everyone's just doing what they can to get by." Crystal cleared her throat, "Sheriff, it could be beneficial to our case to talk to the people who live here. It's a small town so everyone knows each other, they might be able to help us find the unsub." 

The sheriff looked over at her and sighed. Hotch stepped towards him, "Sheriff I understand people move out to remote locations to be left alone, but what happened last night will continue happening and people are going to start taking things into their own hands."

"I can keep order in my town, but the people around here," The sheriff motioned around him, "I mean look around, this is Alaska man. They do what they want." The sheriff motioned to Tom before one of the officers came over to him, "I need to handle something really quick."

When the sheriff left Crystal cleared her throat as she looked at Hotch, "So, man. What do we do now?" JJ coughed to hide her laugh as Crystal put her hand over her mouth to hide hers, Hotch tried to look unamused but his eyes betrayed him. Crystal could tell the stern look he was giving them was halfhearted, "We'll try to get what we can from here and head back to the tavern, we can see if the others got anything."

JJ and Crystal nodded, Crystal winced a bit as her side felt a bit sore. This happened once in awhile but not enough to hurt, of course she didn't say anything to Hotch since she didn't want to prove him right with his assumption of her still injured.

___

"He's already experimenting with his victims, he violated Brenda with an arrow." Ross said this while poking the fire, "He's inciting panic, people who've lived here most of their lives are packing up to leave." JJ looked over at him, "Can you blame them? We've got a psychopath whose hunting a town of 1,400 people, anyone could be next."

Reid nodded, "Most people here grew up learning to kill animals and start fires." The sheriff shrugged at him, "Sounds like your basic survival skills."

Rossi shook his head, "No, they're hunting skills. If you think about it the marksmanship, the urine - it all makes sense." Morgan chuckled a bit, "The urine makes sense?"

"Hunter's trick, urinate downwind to keep animals away." Rossi shrugged and Hotch sat up a bit, "He tried to preserve Jon Baker's body so it would be discovered intact." Crystal hummed, she was gonna say something but her side became sore from her leaning on it. She winced before shifting a bit, this time Hotch did notice this. He was staring at her, which she was ignoring, as JJ sighed. "So we've got a psychopath with hunting skills who knows the routines of everyone in this town, how are we supposed to keep everyone safe?"

Crystal shrugged, "Curfew? At least until our profile is put together." Hotch finally looked away, Crystal gave a sigh of relief, as he turned to the sheriff. "Sheriff I'd suggest you instigate a curfew until we have the unsub in custody."