74.0: Troubling Minds & Surprises

A/N: Continuation of 7x11 True Genius

"people don't change, they just have momentary steps outside of their true character"
― Chad Kultgen

Crystal clutched her jacket to herself, she heard a voice through her earpiece.

"No one at the south entrance yet."

Hotch gave a subtle nod, him and Crystal were sitting on a bench with coffee cups. Hotch checked his watch, "It's almost time." Crystal hummed as she took a sip of her tea, she cringed. "Oh, this is bad."

Hotch looked over at her and chuckled, "I'll make sure to not get that one next time."

"What is it?"

"Orange Cranberry infused with Mint."

"Hotch, I will put salt in your coffee."

Hotch chuckled and brushed her hair from her face, "My bad, please don't hurt me." Crystal playfully narrowed her eyes at him, but her smile betrayed the glare she was trying to send. Just then, they saw a car pulling in.

"We got a vehicle approaching," Crystal mumbled into her earpiece, Hotch nodded. "Looks like a lone driver."

They both sat up and Hotch pulled her closer, "Stay close and ready." Crystal hummed as the car stopped close by, Hotch moved closer to her ear to mumble into her earpiece. "Move in, now." 

The team and officers nearby made their way over, a man got closer to them and when he was close enough Hotch and Crystal jumped up and drew their weapons. "FBI. Show us your hands."

The man jumped and raised his hands, a police car drove close by with their sirens on. Hotch moved closer to him, "Drop it." The man gulped and dropped the paper he was holding, "I-I'm just the messenger, I'm supposed to deliver that letter."

An officer came and handcuffed him as JJ grabbed the letter, "It's for Reid." Reid frowned and took the letter from her, Reid tensed. "'You're not as smart as you think you are.'"

Crystal frowned, "This unsub turned from a psychopath to an idiot." Reid relaxed at her words and gave her a small smile, Hotch turned to look at the man with a stern look. "Who sent this?"

"I don't know, I just deliver it to the address when I'm supposed to."

JJ sighed, "If the unsub's not here, where is he?" Reid made a fist and Crystal looked at him worriedly, she tugged him a couple feet away. "What's up?"

"Nothing."

"Reid."

Reid sighed, "I'm...just wondering if I'm just not doing everything I can with my knowledge. Shouldn't I be doing more?" Crystal hummed and smiled at him, "Doc, you're the smartest person I know. Don't doubt yourself over this because none of us could've figured this out, I may be somewhat smart but you're the absolute genius."

Reid smiled wryly, "You're just saying that-"

"Reid, I'm not just saying that. If you were an idiot I'd tell you, I tell Hotch that everyday." Crystal shrugged and Reid gave her a real smile, "Thank you Crystal."

"Anytime Doc, now let's get back to the station for that mind of yours to solve this case."

___

They had gotten a call in the morning about the bodies being found, Reid seemed stressed and Crystal tried her best to comfort him. He smiled at her before leaving with Prentiss to see if they could find any clues around the crime scene.

Lin lead them to the crime scene, "Tara Hanson was a teacher and Alec Wyseck was a lawyer, they had dinner at a nearby restaurant and were taking an evening stroll."