27.0: Awkward Meetings & Trouble

A/N: The start of 6x02 JJ starts later in this chapter, enjoy~

WARNING: TALKS OF ABUSE IN THIS CHAPTER

"Let him who would move the world first move himself."

― Socrates

Crystal opened her door, Hotch stood there with his briefcase. "Hi."

"Hi there Hotch, c'mon in." Crystal opened the door wider for him, after he was in she closed the door and headed to her fridge. "I have new flavors today, I have green tea and apple." 

"You really like apples." 

"They keep me away from doctors."

Hotch gave her a small smile, "I'll take apple then, thank you." Crystal nodded as she grabbed him a bowl, they sat down and ate their ice cream in silence. Hotch reached over and put his hand gently against her forehead, "Your fever's gone down, you sure you're feeling better?"

"I'm fine Hotch, feeling great actually." Crystal smiled at him and Hotch moved a piece of her hair away from her face, "Let me know if you start to feel sick again, you had me worried when you collapsed."

"Sorry, promise to say something next time." They sat there in silence again, after awhile Hotch cleared his throat. "My father, he used to abuse me. That's why I was cold when confronting Mr. Porter, it brought back some memories." Crystal looked over at him and stuck her hand out, his lips twitched a bit before holding it.

Hotch squeezed her hand before speaking again, "He didn't beat me, but he made sure that I knew I was nothing without the lifestyle he chose for me. I tried to take most of his abuse so that it didn't reach my brother Sean, I didn't want him to listen to the words he used against me."

Crystal squeezed his hand and rubbed her thumb against his hand as he continued, "I guess you could say I learned how to hide my emotions due to him, he wasn't the best dad to me or my family. He had many affairs on my mother and never supported things he deemed were unnecessary to me, I didn't oppose to being a prosecutor but I always did wonder if I chose to be one on my own will."

He looked over at her, "Sean grew up with a somewhat better relationship with our father, I took on the burden of his dreams so Sean was able to have some freedom. Maybe that's why he can show more emotion, I learned to hide my disappointment, anger, and frustration because I loved my father no matter how bad he treated me."

Crystal held both of his hands and gave Hotch a sad smile, "Sometimes the words used to manipulate and abuse us hurt more than physical pain, it's because you heal from the physical wounds faster than the internal wounds caused by the words. I think you turned out really great Hotch, you're now living the life you want and I'm glad that you trust me enough to tell me about your past."

Hotch didn't answer as he gently leaned his forehead against hers, she didn't move away and leaned against him too. They sat there in silence before Crystal said something, "I think your doubts of being a good father come from you remembering how yours wasn't the best, but you shouldn't worry Hotch. You're an amazing father, you aren't like him at all because you're caring, compassionate, and there for Jack no matter what he wants to do."

Hotch leaned back a bit to stare her in the eyes, he smiled over at her. "Thank you for saying so Archer, I appreciate you listening to my worries." Crystal smiled over at him, before they could say anything else there was a knock at her door. Hotch looked over at the door confused, "Are you expecting someone?"

"No, other than you." Crystal got up when Hotch stopped her, "I'll go open it, stay here." Crystal shrugged, "It's fine Hotch, probably just one of my neighbors." Crystal walked over to her door, when she opened it she sighed. "Nick, why are you here at," Crystal checked her watch, "10:09 PM?"