54.0: Troubling Affairs

WARNINGS: THERE'S SWEARING

TRIGGER WARNINGS: TALKS ABOUT EATING DISORDERS AND TALKS OF DIVORCE IN THIS CHAPTER

"There is no perfection, only beautiful versions of brokenness."
― Shannon L. Alder

Crystal tried to hide her amusement, she really did, but there stood Jack and Hotch in the office and Jack was eagerly explaining to her how he missed his field trip. "And then, the bus just left! It went vroom and it left me behind."

"How very rude of them Jack, can I ask how you missed the bus?" Crystal raised an eyebrow at Hotch who sighed, "I dropped him off and apparently his teacher asked him to grab a clipboard for her in her classroom, by the time he got back the bus had accidently left him behind."

"Ah, so Jess is coming to pick him up?"

"Yes, I was able to turn back in time to get him after the school called me. They were afraid of me apparently." Hotch shrugged and Crystal laughed at this, "I don't see why, but maybe because you're frown is scary. Have you tried smiling?" Crystal asked as she picked Jack up and he giggled, "Smile daddy!"

Hotch's lips twitched as he looked over at them, "Let's go to my office Jack, we shouldn't bother Archer."

"Can I stay with her? Please?" Jack looked over at Crystal with pleading eyes and Crystal smiled at Hotch, "I don't mind." Hotch gave her a small smile, "Bring him over if he distracts you." Hotch ruffled Jack's hair before heading up to his office, Jack smiled at Crystal. "Can we get a snack?"

"We most certainly can."

___

Having Jack in the office for a little while was entertaining, Reid had showed him magic tricks and Garcia had come over to take him to her lair to see all of her cool stuff. Crystal smiled as she did her paperwork, a year in the office and this was one of the best office days she's experienced. Jess came an hour later to take Jack with her for the day, "Hello Crystal."

"Hello Jess." Crystal greeted as Jack hugged her goodbye, Crystal crouched down beside him. "Go hug your dad goodbye?" Jack nodded as he raced to Hotch's office and hugged him, Hotch chuckled as he picked him up and headed back over to Jess and Crystal.

Hotch looked over at Crystal as he put Jack down, "We've got a case." Crystal nodded before ruffling Jack's hair, "See you later bud."

"Bye Crystal, bye daddy." Jack waved goodbye as him and Jess headed to the elevators, Crystal turned to look at Hotch who was staring at her. "What?"

"You've got something on your face." Hotch answered as he moved a piece of her hair out of her face, Crystal playfully rolled her eyes at him. "Not falling for that one again Hotchner." Hotch lightly chuckled as he walked away to the conference room, Reid smiled over at her. "You two seem closer."

"Don't start Doc."

___

"Texas has a serial killer on the loose in small town Jefferson, 3 people dead in the last week." Garcia stated as she showed them pictures of the victims, Crystal frowned. "3 in one week? Any connections found?"

"None so far, they connected the cases because of the M.O. The unsub shot them in the back and proceeded to stab them in the back." Hotch answered and Morgan raised an eyebrow, "Could be metaphorical, feels like these people have stabbed him in the back."

"He could also be ashamed of what he's doing and doesn't want them to not witness what he's doing, he makes them turn away while he lives in his fantasy." Reid stated as he flipped through his file, "Victims are physically different, different races, and sexes. If these people do have a connection it's most likely not to do with their features."