3. piggy back rides

"i don't have a swimsuit," wednesday told xavier. he rolled his eyes, grabbing her hand again. "come on, let's go get you one."

he pulled her into the garage where his dad's old jeep sat. "i'll drive," the boy told the girl. wednesday stepped back, trying to get away from the horrifying thought. xavier took her hand once more and pulled her to the passenger's seat.

they were a mile down the road when xavier said, "see? not that bad." wednesday paled even more than usual. "absolutely horrible," she said with a small smile. "thank you."

xavier was horrible at parking and wednesday was not kind enough to spare his feelings by telling him. "your parking is worse than your kidnapping skills. let me park the car," she commanded xavier. he rolled his eyes with a wild grin on his face. "there's no way in hell. you've been driven around by lurch your entire life."

once xavier parked, wednesday refused to get out of the car. "c'mon. we came here for a reason." she still refused. "i'm not here for fun and games, xavier." he raised an eyebrow. "oh, yeah? if you come i'll buy you a new dagger."

wednesday found that extremely unamusing. "grocery store daggers are amateurs. i never have been to one and i have no intention in going in one now."

xavier got out of the car and went to the passenger's side window, tapping on the window to wednesday. "wednesdayyy," he called. she stared at him, not making another move.

he opened the passenger side door. "come on. we're going inside." wednesday glared at him but reluctantly agreed. she was burning hot in the car and didn't have the patience to deal with it.

once they were inside, xavier let out a deep breath, realizing what he had brought upon himself.

he was going to have to go into the women's bathing suit area.

already anxious, xavier grabbed wednesday's arm and ran throughout walmart to get to the women's bathing suit section. he let out a deep breath. "wednesday, we're going to have to hurry." the girl was completely zoned out. "wednesday! did you hear me?! i said we're going to have to hurry!" he shouted, unintentionally gaining attention from the other shoppers.

wednesday stared at the hundreds of options of women's bathing suits around her and suddenly felt ill. so much color.
a spell of dizziness took over her and she stumbled trying to get away from the colors.

xavier grabbed her around the waste, trying to keep her upright. "whoa, careful," he said softly. wednesday immediately pulled away. "colors—" she mumbled. "why would you bring me around colors? i'm allergic, you idiot."

xavier swallowed nervously. "i'm sorry. i- just- come here," he told her. wednesday flashed an untrusting look at the boy but did as he asked. then xavier squatted down to the ground.

"what are you doing?" she asked. "hop on my back," he told her. "i'll give you a piggy back ride." wednesday winced at the thought. "this is completely ridiculous and if anyone asks, this never happened," she muttered frustratedly.

xavier nodded with a smile. "of course."

finally the two made their way over to the black colors. "put me down." wednesday commanded. xavier obeyed.

"do you like any of these?" he asked. wednesday looked around. "this one is fine," she said, carefully taking it off the wrack. it was a simple one-piece with spider-web like looking netting on the back. "yeah, it definitely suits you," xavier said, staring.

he offered the girl a soft smile. "want another piggy back ride?" wednesday frowned. "unfortunately, i don't believe there is another option. today i am not in the mood for the flesh to peel off my bones."