15. full of woe

xavier didn't find wednesday that day.

so he waited until botanical sciences started the next day.

wednesday got to class first, as she usually did, and sat in her seat. enid wasn't there yet so xavier took the risk and sat in her seat to attempt to talk to wednesday.

"hey, will you please talk to me?" xavier asked wednesday. the girl stared ahead of her instead of turning to look at the boy. "there is nothing to talk about, xavier. you should leave." he swallowed nervously and took her hand. "please, we're friends-" wednesday cut him off, pulling her hand away. "no, we are not. go away, xavier."

xavier stared at wednesday, his eyes pleading. she continued to ignore him so he slowly inched closer to her until he was less than an inch away.

he leaned close into her ear and whispered, "look, i dunno what the hell happened, but i want to fix it. please, wednesday. i'm begging you. our friendship means the world to-"

the boy's voice was cut off by a girl who sat two rows in front of wednesday. ivory had turned around and asked him, "hey, xavier, are you sitting up here today?" he immediately got up and went to sit with ivory.

bianca saw the entire thing and went up and stood next to where xavier was now sitting. "xavier, what the hell are you doing?" she asked him. he turned from talking to ivory to face bianca. "huh? what, are you mad at me now too? are we not friends anymore either?" he growled. bianca stared at him. "oh my god! how can you be so oblivious?!" she said with frustration and walked sway.

ivory rolled her eyes. "don't let them bother you, xavier. if they don't wanna be your friends they're the ones missing out." xavier shook his head. "you don't understand." the redhead blinked. "then help me understand." xavier turned back to face her. "last year, wednesday sa-" mrs. venus cut him off. "students! please find your way to your seats, we're starting class now!" xavier was annoyed. "i'll just tell you after class, ives."

wednesday heard him say that from her seat. ives?! she thought. he created a goddamn nickname for her. someday i am going to brutally murder him. i should have when i had the chance in the summer.

xavier didn't tell ivory what he was going to before class after they got out. instead, he went again to find wednesday.

this time, he succeeded and found her in the library. "wednesday!" he shouted. the librarian gave him a dirty look. people weren't supposed to shout in the library.
as soon as wednesday spotted xavier walking towards her, she started walking in the opposite direction around to the other aisle. but xavier was smart enough to realize that so he found a way to corner her.

"nuh-uh, you're not going anywhere until you tell me what's going on," xavier whisper-hissed at wednesday. she simply stared. "there is nothing going on, xavier. besides, we're not friends anymore. please leave me alone." she was tired of this stupid game. he had hurt her and acted like he was the victim. this is exactly why she didn't do feelings.

a violent-looking vein stuck out in the middle of xavier's forehead. "oh my god, are you really still going with that? i thought we were past this, wednesday. just tell me what's bothering you. is it the stalker? is it something with your family?" he asked.

wednesday shook her head, not believing what had just come our of his mouth.
"no. it's you. your lies are deceitful and evil for no reason. i shouldn't have let you in and i shouldn't have trusted you."

darkness clouded xavier's eyes. wednesday tried to move past him, but he stopped her, shaking his head. "what are you talking about?"

"you are just as evil as the hyde. you only lie about caring for a person for your own benefit. when someone new comes along you forget about the person you told those things to and act like they don't exist. don't play dumb, xavier. i didn't. i know you love ivory glade. we are not friends because you said you loved me. i'm not friends with liars. your back-stabbing action hurt worse than when i was stabbed in the abdomen by a fucking dead pilgrim. i hate you for it."

xavier's jaw dropped as wednesday walked away from him. this is about ivory?!

he wanted to chase after wednesday and say that it wasn't true. but he didn't know.

xavier knew he really missed spending time with wednesday- just knowing they were friends. but he didn't know how he felt about ivory. he really liked spending time with her too. she was so kind and heart-filled and wednesday was just the opposite but he couldn't resist either of them.

reluctantly, he headed back to his dorm. a tear streamed down his cheek as he crawled into his bed. he'd hurt wednesday really bad. and ivory had said it didn't matter and they were the ones missing out on him.

"hey man, are you okay?" ajax had just walked in and asked him. "nah. i fucked up. i fucked up really bad this time."
ajax frowned. "what happened?" xavier couldn't meet his friend's eyes. "i... i really hurt wednesday. i didn't mean to but when i met ivory i just completely iced her out. i told her i loved her... and then i just... i just abandoned her."

wednesday had gone to her next class, history of outcasts, with enid and bianca. wednesday sat with bianca in that class while enid sat with yoko.

wednesday turned to bianca while they were doing their text book work. "xavier confronted me in the library before class today." bianca's eyes widened in fear. "and what did you say?" wednesday blinked. "i told him the truth. that- that he hurt me. i know he loves ivory."
enid started freaking out. she'd been listening because she and yoko sat at the table behind them. "how did he react?!" wednesday simply stared at her paper. "i left before he could."

bianca stared at wednesday. "look, i know that everything is complicated with you and xavier right now, but you have to be careful. he... he can be untrustworthy." enid joined the conversation again. "is that why you guys broke up?" bianca shrugged. "kind of. he was concerned i was using my siren song on him. he was untrustworthy because he didn't trust me."

enid frowned. "oh, that's really shitty of him. do you miss him?" bianca almost choked on her laughter. "oh, god, no. not as a boyfriend in the slightest. we weren't made for each other at all."

"things with xavier and i aren't complicated. we're simply not friends anymore," wednesday retorted. bianca shook her head. "don't count on it, wednesday. he'll be back. his feelings for you are too strong."

that comment made wednesday want to scrape all of the skin off of her bones.

bianca had just given her a warning.

but it made her hopeful.

maybe xavier would apologize.
maybe he would murder ivory in the name of his love for  her!

maybe she would finally get to kiss him
and have her first boyfriend.