34. hiding a secret

xavier had never turned around so quickly in his life. he ran back to wednesday's side and knelt beside her hospital bed.

"oh my god! oh my god! you're awake!"

wednesday stared at the boy kneeling very close to her face, completely unamused. "no, this is all in your head. i'm actually dead."

xavier gave her a really? look. she simply stared back and then started trying to stand up, wobbling away from the bed. "wednesday, what the fuck do you think you're doing?! you've been unconscious for over a week!"

the girl ignored the boy as she tried to make her way to the infirmary exit. to her dismay, he ran over to her and scooped her up, like a mother cradling her baby.

"xavier! put me down!" wednesday exclaimed. he walked back over to her hospital bed and plopped her right back down into the feathery pillows.
she tried to get back up, but he made sure she couldn't. "no way in hell you're getting outta this bed yet. you're staying here and i'm staying with you."

the raven glared at the artist. "xavier, let me go. if you don't, i will make sure your vision is permanently impaired." he gave her a look. "yeah, that's not gonna happen. i'm gonna go get the doctor. i'll be right back."

a few minutes later, malachi and xavier walked together back to wednesday's bed side. she was already glaring daggers at both of them.

while malachi was checking wednesday's vitals, he couldn't help telling her, "your boyfriend is manic. he practically fought an old woman to get in here to see you. he cares about you very much."

wednesday looked up at xavier, flashing a facial expression that screamed you told them you're my boyfriend?!

xavier blushed and looked down at his feet, a smile spreading like butter across his lips.

the girl looked back up at her doctor. "he's psychotic and determined. when he sets his mind to something, there's no stopping him." malachi couldn't help but laugh. "it looks like you two seem to have that in common."

once malachi was done, he stood up, talking to wednesday first. "you're going to be in here another four days at the least. we aren't exactly sure why it took you so long to wake up, so we're going to be keeping close tabs on you. your boyfriend, i'm sure, will keep you caught up on your academics. there's no need to worry and you should be able to function completely normally in two days, but until then, you're on bed rest. no getting up to do anything, alright? principal sipe will be in to visit you shortly."

then he turned to xavier. "i understand that your girlfriend is just as hard-headed as you are, so i need you make sure she doesn't do anything senseless when you're the only one with her. and no hokey pokey in the infirmary. you are here to visit for important matters only. understood?" malachi asked, glaring at the boy, inferring he would cause trouble. xavier nodded. "got it, doc. thanks for your help. wednesday really needed it."

after malachi left, wednesday sat up in her bed and whacked xavier roughly on the shoulder. "hey! what was that for?!" he exclaimed.
she glared at him. "you told the entire infirmary that we are dating. you are burning my reputation, xavier."

xavier shrugged, blushing with a smile. "hey, it's the only way i could get in here to see you after you got shot. i'm not leaving you, wednesday. not then, not now, not ever."

wednesday stared at him, comment-less.

then he gave her a strange sideways look. "and since when did you get so defensive? you're acting like i'm a bear and you're taking offense to everything."

the looked away, making sure there was no way she had tells that would give away the secret she was hiding.

"okayyyy, fine, don't answer me then," xavier said sarcastically. wednesday looked back at him. "would you go tell enid i'm awake? i need to talk to her."

xavier shrugged. "yeah, i guess..." he said before hesitantly giving her a kiss on the forehead.

wednesday found that unamusing. "you know we're not really dating." xavier gave her a silly grin. "yeah. i'm just glad you're awake now. i've missed you, wednesday. see you later," he said waving goodbye.

xavier went to get enid at the buffet during breakfast. "OH MY GOD!" she squealed so hard one of the windows shattered.
she then turned to ajax. "i gotta go! i'll see you later!" she squealed before running as fast as she could to the infirmary.

"wait! enid!" xavier called running after her.  she turned around quickly. "whatever you're going to say, hurry! i want to see my best friend!"

he swallowed nervously and pulled a group of crinkled, folded papers tied together with a rubber band from inside his blazer. "would you... would you, uh, give these to wednesday when you see her? i would've given them to her personally, but i had to go get them from my dorm."

"OH MY GOD!" enid giggled. "I KNEW YOU WERE WRITING HER LOVE LETTERS!"

xavier's eyes widened in fear as he quickly shook his head. "no, no, no, no. that's not what these are. please don't tell her that's what these are."

enid smiled at him. "don't worry, i won't tell her, she'll know by reading them," she said with a wink, skipping away to the infirmary.

xavier made a sour face and rubbed his face with his hands as wednesday's roommate skipped away. "oh god, i'm screwed," he sighed.