8. never apologize

knock knock knock wednesday's door rattled the next morning.

she got up and opened the door. as expected, it was xavier.

"hello, xavier." he had a smile on his face and was rubbing the back of his neck- a nervous habit. "hey, wednesday. i was just wondering, y'know, if you wanted to spend the day together? maybe talk about what happened?" wednesday paled even more than usual. "no. i am busy."
"oh, okay. just thought i'd ask." xavier said as his eyes flickered to the ground. sadness clouded his eyes. "i will see you at meals," wednesday told him. he nodded and walked away.

as soon as wednesday shut her bedroom door, thing began having a raging frenzy.

tap tap tap. what was that for? you kissed him! now you're just messing with his feelings!

"hush, thing. you're signing too loud. xavier may hear you across the hall. and you're being foolish."

tap tap tap. go apologize to him!

"no, thing. i have nothing to apologize for. i need to think about this. i believe i may have acted on emotion last night. this boy is destroying my personality, is he not?"

tap tap tap. love isn't bad, wednesday. that's how you were born. just look at your parents.

"great daggers, thing. do not compare xavier and i to my parents. i will slowly chop off your fingers inch by inch until there are none left and you are simply just a palm."

tap tap tap. just apologize.

"stop it. i am not apologizing. not today, not tomorrow, not in a hundred years. love is dead and i must stay away from xavier. he is doing things to me."

tap tap tap. he's just showing you what love is. don't be afraid.

that comment enraged wednesday. she glared at thing.

"i am not afraid of anything. especially of a boy and his feelings. if you keep bothering me, i will enclose you in a lock box where i keep my phone and you will try to claw your way out for the next year. understood?"

thing backed away in fear, afraid that wednesday was being honest.

______________________

later on in the afternoon, wednesday knocked on xavier's door. there was no answer.
instead, she heard squeals of joy coming from downstairs.

pugsley. and xavier.

wednesday took her time walking down to see the two amigos. "pugsley, i'm going to borrow xavier now. he'll play torture with you later."

xavier looked up at the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. "wednesday, hey," he said with a giddy smile. "come," she commanded.

xavier followed wednesday into the family's plant sanctuary. usually, it was morticia's haven, but wednesday didn't care to take xavier through the graveyard, so that's where they ended up.

"what's up?" xavier asked the girl. she turned around to face him. "it is vital we talk about what happened last night." xavier nodded with a small smile on his face.

"we can not be more than friends."
his smile quickly faded.

"i- i don't understand. we kissed. you- i thought we were on the same page. i thought we were- we could be something." wednesday blinked. "i... can't do that, xavier. it messes with my head and other parts of my body far too much."

that made xavier squirm. "... other parts of your body?" he asked. "my- my- my heart." wednesday finally managed to stutter out.

xavier took wednesday's hand. "come on, wednesday. please. give me a chance."

"no." she pulled away immediately, tripping on a metal bucket behind her.

xavier caught her and smiled down. "see? even the universe thinks you should give me a chance. wednesday? hey, wednesday!! wednesday!" he shouted.
the girl was having a vision.

wednesday awoke in her vision to find herself back at nevermore. she saw enid with others in the quad. singing.
"la la la la la la sing a happy song!! la la la la la la smurf the whole day long!"

what kind of new hell was this? and where had wednesday heard this song before?

but then something interrupted the students' singing. a vampire... no, not just any fang. it was yoko tanaka.

"run! every body run! it's coming!" she shouted. blood goopishly flowed down the side of the girl's head. she wasn't dead, but was close enough to it. "he's coming! he's going to kill us all!" yoko continued shouting. she fell to the ground and clutched her stomach. she was dying.

and then wednesday was back to the real world.

xavier was holding her... around the waist. she'd never seen him look so concerned.
when she looked back up at him, he was not hesitant to hide his relief.

"thank god, you're okay!" xavier exclaimed as he pulled wednesday in for a hug. he kissed the top of her head and then pulled away a bit. "what did you see?" he asked.

wednesday didn't respond. she just darted out of the room, running for her life.