9. always be yours

wednesday ran all the way back up the stairs into her room and locked the door. as soon as thing saw her, he went ballistic.

tap tap tap. what happened?!

"nevermore is in danger," wednesday told the hand. "i had a vision. enid was there with others— they were singing the happiest song. it was the best nightmare i've had in weeks. but then yoko came and warned everyone. she was dying, thing. she said 'he is coming' and i don't know who 'he' is."

tap tap tap. YOKO IS GOING TO DIE?!

a knock came from the door. "hey, wednesday, you okay in there? we didn't get the chance to finish our conversation! and you seemed scared!" xavier shouted.
wednesday quickly opened the door. "i am not afraid, xavier. come in." she invited.

xavier walked in looking more concerned than ever. "what happened, wednesday?"
"nevermore is in danger and yoko is going to die." she answered blatantly.
"whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. back track with me for a second. what did you see?" he asked.
"enid and some others in the quad were singing a happy- and horrifying- song. then yoko showed up and warned everyone to run because 'he' was coming. she was injured and dying."
"shit," xavier muttered under his breath.

"maybe your vision is wrong. maybe-" wednesday cut him off. "i have never had incorrect visions, xavier. if you don't believe me, you should leave."
the boy shook his head. "yeah. yeah, you're right. i'm sorry, wednesday." he looked away. "look, there's nothing we can really do. we don't go back to school for another month and a half." xavier took wednesday's hand. "let's just try to figure us out, okay?"

wednesday pulled her hand away. "i told you, there is no us, xavier." the boy frowned. "i don't get it. you kissed me last night. why? you said you care about me but you aren't even gonna give us a chance. why?" his voice broke.

wednesday couldn't meet xavier's eyes. "i do not do love or romance. i've already made that mistake, xavier. i am not going to make it again." the boy's eyes nearly popped out of his head. "you're comparing me to tyler?!" he asked, extremely offended. "no. i am saying i do not trust romance. it is a distraction from what actually matters."

the girl took a step towards the boy. "you deserve better than i can give you, xavier. please. find someone else."

xavier cupped wednesday's cheeks with his hands. "i don't want anyone else, wednesday. i want you."

"you will spend your entire life waiting," wednesday told him.

"then i will. i'll wait until you're ready. i'll always be here. i'll always be yours."

________________________

two weeks later, wednesday and xavier were on regular terms again.

no hugs. no kisses. no hand holding. no romance.

xavier knew he would always want wednesday and he was okay with waiting. he knew in a way she wanted him too, but she just wasn't ready to fully come to term with it yet.

"are you two going to come with us this year? or are you going to stay here... to spend time together?" morticia asked wednesday and xavier at the dinner table.
she knew wednesday still had feelings for xavier. fester did too. he could sense the electricity between them.
"no. we are coming on vacation with the rest of the family," wednesday answered.
xavier's eyes lit up. "vacation?!"
"yes," wednesday answered. "you will meet the rest of the family."
his eyes widened. "there are more of you?"
gomez bubbled over with laugher. "oh, young xavier. we have hundreds of relatives!" he then winked at wednesday. "my little scorpion will be thrilled to introduce you to all of them."
xavier smiled. "i'd like that a lot."

"we can play wake the dead!" puglsey shouted with enthusiasm. fester clapped. "yes! yes! wake the dead!" xavier gave wednesday a confused look.

after dinner he asked her "what's wake the dead?" wednesday simply stared back. "it says it in the name. we wake the dead from their peaceful slumber," she said with a smirk on her face.
"so, where's this vacation?" xavier asked wednesday. "florida. we go every year. it's two weeks." he smiled. "really? i never expected you guys would go there."
wednesday nodded. "we do. it is in a party castle. we don't spend much time outside except for threatening beach-goers."

xavier's eyes lit up. "a party castle?!"  wednesday stared. "yes. you should start packing. we leave tomorrow."