5. a kind word

wednesday continued swimming for a few more hours, which helped her gain a much better grasp on the skill, and over-joyed xavier because he was able to help.

around 5:00 the two started getting tired.

"hey, is it okay if i don't take you home tonight? i don't have the energy to drive two hours," xavier asked wednesday. she  simply stared. "you weren't going to take me home anyways, xavier. lurch is taking me back home."

xavier frowned. "but it'll be dark by the time he gets here." wednesday remained uninterested. "what is your point?" the boy's eyes flickered to the floor. "nevermind." this annoyed wednesday. "i don't see why you are so bothered and crestfallen."

xavier let out a sad laugh. "yeah i kinda figured." after a pause of silence, he told her his previous motive. "i was gonna offer for you to stay the night, but i guess you don't need to."

he took a step closer towards the girl with the worlds smallest but most meaningful smile on his face. "today was great, wednesday. we should do it again sometime."

wednesday ignored the romantic signs.

"yes. learning how to swim was more enjoyable than i expected. you are devious, xavier."

"yeah- uh- that's exactly what i meant." xavier lied.

a very slow knock came from the front door. "that must be lurch. goodbye, xavier."
a slow smile spread across the boy's face as the girl began to walk away, but then he grabbed her arm. "wait! you should stay!"

wednesday frowned. "why would i stay?"

xavier shrugged but quickly came up with an excuse. "we can watch scary movies! plus you still have to practice swimming! you can stay the whole week! a sleepover week!"

wednesday blinked. "you must be afraid of staying home alone. pathetic." she turned around to lurch. "thank you for coming to get me, but i will be staying here until sunday. tell my parents i wish them the utter worst."

lurch slowly nodded and took his time walking out.

xavier's eyes widened and a huge toothy grin made its way across his lips. "you're staying, i'm glad!" he then proceeded to wrap an arm around wednesday's shoulder and walked her to his movie room.

wednesday hrugged away from his arm. she was not going to let this get romantic.

about ten minutes later, xavier turned on disney plus. he smirked over at wednesday while pulling up a movie. "prepared to be horrified."

a popstar. no, the popstar. hannah montana: the movie.

wednesday's eyes nearly popped out of her head. xavier was right, she was beyond horrified. pop music, romance, color, and country boys were her worst enemies.

later on in the movie, there was a hoedown. when this scene came on, xavier's entire face lit up. he got up out of his seat and started dancing.

"zig zag, step'n slide, lean in left, clap three times, shake it out head to toe, throw it all together that's how we role!" he sang and grabbed wednesday's hands, pulling her out of her seat.

"do the hoedown!" miley cyrus shouted through the screen. "throwdown!" xavier yelled in return. " do the hoedown!" miley shouted again. "come on, wednesday! sing your heaaaart out!" xavier shouted over the movie.

wednesday immediately pulled her hand away, shying away from what she was afraid of: xavier's singing.

she scrambled to get out of the room and xavier ran after her. "wednesday, come on! scary movies are your jam!" she glared at him. "you are horrendous, xavier. i am going to sleep." xavier gave wednesday a toothy grin. "nice to meet you, going to sleeps i'm horrendous." wednesday continued to glare.

xavier let out a soft hybrid of a laugh and sigh. "come on, wednesday. i'll show you where you can sleep."

wednesday followed xavier to the guest room. he opened it and it was bright. not colorful at all, just whites. even though wednesday preferred black, it did make her feel a little more at ease. "just let me know if you need anything," xavier told her.

as soon as he walked out of the door, wednesday walked out behind him. "xavier," she called. "i need clothes." xavier turned around chortling. "yeah, probably pajamas... you can use my mom's if you like. they might be dusty though. we haven't been in there since she left us."

wednesday frowned. "thank you. your mother shouldn't have left her child. i am sorry for your... exit."

xavier stepped closer and touched his hand to wednesday's face, brushing off an eyelash. "sorry, you had an eyelash on your face," he murmured softly.

wednesday stared into the boy's eyes. "you always find something to be sorry about, xavier. stop apologizing for once."

xavier raised an eyebrow. "then what should i say?" wednesday didn't look away from his face. "anything but 'i'm sorry.' don't say you're sorry. you are worth more than that."

"did you just say something kind to me?!" xavier asked in shock. wednesday froze in fear, releasing he was right. she had said a kind word. "yes, i did." she admitted.

what was xavier doing to her?!