19. child of jealousy

the next day, ajax went and confronted xavier during archery. unfortunately, wednesday had to witness the entire thing.

"dude! where were you last night? you never came back to the dorm!" ajax said. xacier looked sheepisly down at the ground with a small but sad smile on his lips. "oh yeah, i was with ivory." wednesday couldn't believe she had to overhear him talk about sleeping with another woman only 2 weeks after they'd broken up! she put her bow and arrow down and began to walk back inside.

ajax frowned as he watched his girlfriend's best friend leave. he couldn't believe xavier had talked about ivory like that in front of her. "really, man?! that was totally not cool." xavier shrugged. "what? did you expect me to lie to protect wednesday's feelings? because i can assure you, she has none. besides, ivory and i are dating now," he said, making sure it was loud enough for wednesday to hear.

wednesday's foot pace picked up and she began running. to where? she had no idea. just away from xavier. away from ivory. away from the pain.

three hours later, wednesday was reported missing.

xavier started to worry a bit once he heard. ivory rubbed his back reassuringly. "don't worry, xavy. she'll be fine. and if she isn't, it's just karma."

karma. oh god no, not karma. the flashbacks of wednesday having an adorable to watch fit about enid singing that taylor swift song on the first day back rang throughout his head. was he making a mistake being with ivory instead of wednesday? not chasing after her?

he kissed ivory's head and told her, "i'll see you later tonight at dinner. i gotta run." she frowned. "is everything okay, baby?" xavier nodded. "yeah, everything's fine. i just need to get some fresh air," he lied. he was just going to sleep in his own room.

about fifteen minutes later, a pounding knock came from xavier's door. "one second." he was about to go get it, but someone slammed the door open before he could. ajax and enid. "what are you guys doing here? shouldn't you be out looking for-" enid glared at xavier, interrupting him mid-sentence. "YOU WERE THE LAST ONE SEEN BY HER! WHERE THE HELL IS SHE?! WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU SAY TO HER?!"

xavier was taken aback. "hey, i didn't say anything to your stupid emotionless pet jackass! leave me out of this! i have a girlfriend!"

enid had had enough of xavier's attitude. she grabbed a pocket knife hiding under her sweater and held it to his throat. "DON'T YOU DARE TALK ABOUT MY BEST FRIEND LIKE THAT! I'LL MURDER YOU! JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE TRYING TO MAKE WEDNESDAY JEALOUS BY DATING IVORY DOESN'T MEAN IT DOESN'T HURT HER!"

ajax's jaw dropped and he hoped to scream, but couldn't. was his girlfriend really going to kill his best friend? no. but she wouldn't reframe from causing him pain.

xavier's breath got caught as enid's sentence sunk into him. was he only dating ivory to make wednesday jealous? was he that angry? or was enid just trying to manipulate him?

just when he was about to speak, he heard the sound of s a click behind his head. ivory had come to his 'rescue' and was holding a gun to ajax's head. she glared at enid. "let him go or your boyfriend gets it," she gritted through her teeth.

maybe xavier did have a type, killers.

enid immediately dropped the knife to the floor, her hands shaking. ivory didn't take the gun away from ajax's head.

xavier took a step towards his psychotic girlfriend who was trying to kill his best friend. "ives, put the gun down please." anger burned through her heart. "his girlfriend tried to kill you! she hated me and you! she only cares about wednesday!"

hearing wednesday's name out loud suddenly stung like never before. where was she?! what if she had been taken?! xavier had made a huge mistake and he knew it.

"i'll do anything you want, love! anything! please, he's my best friend."

ivory stared at her boyfriend. "anything?" he nodded. "sleep with me tonight, okay?" he nodded again. what the fuck had he just agreed to?

ivory took the gun away from ajax's head and walked over to xavier and kissed him. he unfortunately had to kiss back.

ajax ran to enid, who was hysterically crying. she didn't like ivory before, but now she really hated her. ajax wiped her tears away. "it's okay. let's go find wednesday."

wednesday was out in the woods, actually crying over a boy. large, slow tears streamed down her face.

when enid found her best friend, she started weeping. "wednesday! she- she's evil!" the werewolf wailed into the psychic's shoulder. wednesday stopped crying immediately and pulled away enough to fully see her best friend's face. "who? enid, who?" she asked. enid's lower lip quivered. "ivory."

later that night, wednesday was fully filled in on the events that occured while she was gone.

and she was pissed off.

_________________________

the next morning, wednesday spotted xavier alone in the library. he was reading some sort of romance advice giving book.

the noirette unapologetically walked up to her ex-boyfriend. "xavier, we have to talk. now." the brunette looked up in shock. "w-wednesday, you're okay. i was worried."

she grabbed his arm and pulled him up, walking to a corner where they could talk a little more privately, but xavier had other plans. he took her hand and grabbed the book he had been reading out of the library.

xavier quickly but cautiously dragged wednesday down some stairs and she let him lead her away from where they'd just been, not having enough energy to fight with him. he breathed heavily as they met the statue of edgar allan poe. xavier snapped twice and then they went down another flight of stairs into the nightshades library.

xavier let out a shaky breath, turning back to wednesday. she was staring at him intensely. "what was that for?" the girl asked. "i- i had to make sure ivory couldn't find us." wednesday eyed him suspiciously. "now you're afraid of being seen with me in public, i understand. just make sure that malicious girl never tries to murder ajax again and leave my best friend hysterically crying."

xavier took a step closer to the girl. "i know, i'm sorry about that. i hate that i'm with her, but i have to be right now. i know you probably don't get it-" wednesday interrupted him. "yes, i do. i never wanted to break up with you." she revealed. xavier frowed and his eyes clouded with darkness. "then why did you?" she blinked. "i had no choice."

xavier was getting so close to wednesday that she had to push him away. "stay away from me, xavier. for your own safety, i am begging you." another frown. "but i don't wanna stay away from you, wednesday. i still love you."

wednesday's eyes started watering. "i love you too, xavier. but we have to keep our distance, at least for now. i suppose i will talk to you another time, but i am not sure. if this is our last goodbye-"

xavier interrupted. "no, don't say that. it's not. i'm gonna find a way to you, wednesday. for there to be an us. i promise."

wednesday stared and began to walk away.

xavier watched in terror of what was to come.

"i love you, wednesday," he told her.

"i love you, xavier," she replied before disappearing.