13. preventing karma

"you HAVE to go meet him!" enid squealed from across the room. wednesday simply stared at her roommate. "enid, that would be the most loving and supportive action a person could do. my motives are cynical."

enid rolled her eyes and giggled. "but you love xavier, wednesday! i know you do! you're just not admitting yet."

wednesday frowned. she didn't want to visit xavier, but she felt as if her world would crumble and karma would attack her ruthlessly if she didn't.
she loved attacks but not if it was simply because she wasn't a "good friend."

so, wednesday addams reluctantly decided to meet up with xavier thorpe... in his art studio... at 8:00 on the dot.

"fine. but this does not mean anything. i am simply preventing karma from eating me alive."

enid's eyes lit up at the word karma. "OMG YOU HAVE TO LISTEN TO MIDNIGHTS BY TS! YOU WOULD LOVE YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN, KID AND ANTI-HERO!" then she began singing karma.

'cause karma is my boyfriend, karma is a god, karma is the breeze in my hair on the weekend, karma's a relaxing thought'

wednesday found the song endlessly annoying and had to get out of that dorm. she didn't have a clue who "ts" was and now was dying to never find out.

around 7:45 xavier heard a pounding knock knock knock on the door to his art shed. his eyes lit up. "wednesday, you're early!"
the girl simply stared back at the boy, rather annoyed that he thought she was early for him. "only because enid wouldn't stop singing about karma," she bitterly muttered out. "apparently it's her new boyfriend."

xavier chuckled. "it's just a song, wednesday." wednesday simply stared. "taylor swift?! don't tell me you've never heard of her." she didn't want to hear about her. "why did you want to meet me, xavier? what is your plan?" wednesday asked, eyeing him suspiciously.

he slowly walked closer up to her and took one of her hands. "just to talk. i've missed you."

the evil bats soared back and forth in wednesday's stomach. she had the sudden urge to punch xavier in the stomach again. "can i punch you?" she asked him. xavier smiled. "no. just sit and talk with me. i wanna know how you are. what you've been doing. you didn't really text me at all the last two weeks..."

AN: play the song at the top ^^ now

wednesday stared. "i don't know why you'd expect anything different," she said sitting down in a chair across from him. xavier shook his head sadly. "yeah, i know... i just thought this time it'd be different."

xavier took wednesday's hand and looked her in the eye. "will you give me chance? please, wednesday?"

wednesday looked into the boy's eyes, feeling like she had been transported into a new, fearless, bold, truly caring universe.
maybe.

"yes," she told him bravely. "i- i'm sorry for putting you in jail last year. my suspicions got the best of me."

xavier smiled back immediately and wanted to kiss her. he leaned in but she pulled away.

"i am not ready for a relationship, xavier. but i want to become better friends with you. learn how to be... a good friend," she said with utter distaste. wednesday couldn't believe that had just come out of her mouth.

xavier kissed the top of her head anyways. "i'm fine with that, wednesday. i'll always be here for you, waiting for you."

he pulled away but looked above his head, a painting behind a tarp. "oh, there's something i need to show you." he told the girl. she stood up as he pulled the tarp off. "what is this, xavier?" she asked.

they were looking at a painting almost identical to what wednesday's vision had been a little over a month and a half ago.

"i- i had a really similar vision to yours, i think. something is coming for nevermore, wednesday. i don't know what, but it's coming."

the two 'friends' looked at each other and knew something was off.

____________________________

"soooo, how was it?!" enid asked wednesday as soon as she got back into the dorm. the noirette simply stared.
"we are just friends, enid."
"...at least for now," she whispered to herself.

"so what did guys talk about.. or do?" enid asked in return. "we just talked. you should probably know that nevermore is in danger. something's coming for you and me and xavier and ajax and bianca and yoko. everyone else too."

enid's eyes nearly popped out of her head, which got a small smile from wednesday. "you had a vision?! what did you see?!" wednesday blinked. "it's better if i don't tell you. evil dreams, enid," wednesday told her best friends. "night, bestie," enid said in return.

wednesday laid in bed in the darkness thinking about what had happened that day and what was to come.

yoko. how she had said "he" was coming and then died.

what—or who— was coming for nevermore.

xavier.
his smile- the way it lit up a room.
the way she wanted to kiss him when no one and everyone was watching.

and the way she wanted to be more than friends with him.