37. it's coming

"alright, class! listen up! these are the instructions for your end of the quarter project," mrs. venus called out. the nevermore students were eager to be told who their partners would be and what they were supposed to be doing. "you're going to be choosing a song that reflects what you've learned in botanical sciences this quarter. you have the option of playing it from a device or performing it, and you must explain in detail why you chose this song."

"yes! you give us the best projects. my group is gonna win for sure," bianca exclaimed. enid smiled. "we'll see, bianca. i listen to so much pop music that i can pop off with my music choosing skills." bianca shot enid a humor-filled face. she was glad they were friends.

then mrs. venus began calling out groups.
"enid, anderson, and bianca."
"hudson, morgan, and xavier."
"lennox, wednesday, and clyde."
"emmy, james, savonna, and ansel."

xavier frowned. he had been hoping with his entire being that he would end up with wednesday. he'd only talked to her two or three times since she'd told him they should act like they didn't even know each other.

wednesday, on the other hand, found her group relieving. she didn't believe lennox or clyde would want to perform a song in front of the entire class. she was even more relieved she hadn't been placed in a group with xavier. even though she still wished they could be friends, he could get too clingy sometimes. 

_________________

the class was in the quad, figuring out what they were going to do for their project, when xavier walked over to wednesday.

"hey. how are you doing?" he asked. the girl glared back. "you are not in my group, xavier. go join hudson and morgan. i am sure they are in need of your assistance." 

xavier rolled his eyes. "yeah, i doubt that. besides, i don't wanna leave you with lennox and clyde all alone. they can get wild, if you know what i mean." wednesday stared at him intensely. "i can handle myself, xavier. go back to your group," she said, before walking away herself.

"pffft, i'm not going back to those guys," xavier scoffed. he followed wednesday to her group instead. 

lennox made a face at the artist. "yo, xavier, what are you doing over here? won't mrs. venus be pissed if she sees you aren't helping morgan and hudson?" he slung an arm over wednesday's shoulder. "i think clyde and i can handle wednesday on our own. she's not that scary."

wednesday kicked the boy where it hurt and left him on his knees, wailing in pain. "try something like that again and i will rip every bone from your body piece by piece until there is no bone left in your body and you are left paralyzed for the rest of your days."

xavier couldn't have looked any angrier. he grabbed wednesday's wrist protectively and lead her away. "see? i told you those two are... bad news. you can trust my judgement. you should know that by now."

"your judgement is considerate and graceful. there is not any chance i would trust that aspect of your knowledge. besides, the last person you told me was 'bad news' is now in a dark wooden coffin in the ground," the noirette retorted back.

the artist smiled a little. "okay, okay, fine. i guess you're right. i'm just glad you're actually talking to me again. i thought you hated me."

wednesday's expression turned a little softer. "unfortunately, there is no possible way for me to hate you. it's rather annoying, actually. even when i shouldn't be speaking with you, i wish to speak with you."

xavier's face melted as he took wednesday's and brought it to his lips. "i've missed you, wednesday. please give me another chance. i can't live with not talking to you."

 enid, bianca, and anderson began singing a ridiculously stupid song, dancing in a circle. wednesday hoped that it wasn't the song for their project. "la la la la la la sing a happy song!! la la la la la la smurf the whole day long!"

xavier sueezed her hand, trying to get her to pay attention to himself again. "wednesday, you there??? you kinda zoned out for a second."

what kind of new hell was this? and where had wednesday heard this song before?

"sorry, xavier. the joyful song being sung is making my brain fall apart. have you heard it before? i know i must've somewhere, but i can't recall when or where." she asked in response.

the boy chuckled. "yeah, i've heard it before. it's the song the smurfs sing... in the smurfs. the movies are better than the show, though." 

loud footprints and a scream of terror interrupted anderson, enid, and bianca's singing. a vampire... no, not just any fang. it was yoko tanaka, enid's friend from the nightshades.

"run! every body run! it's coming!" she shouted. 

blood goopishly flowed down the side of the girl's head. she wasn't dead, but was close enough to it. "he's coming! he's going to kill us all!" yoko continued shouting.

 she fell to the ground and clutched her stomach. she was dying. 

"yoko! oh my god, yoko!" enid shouted, running over to her friend's side. "what happened!? WHO DID THIS TO YOU?!"

wednesday ran over to enid and yoko's sides, and xavier was right behind her. "yoko, who did this to you? what weaponry did they use?" the raven interrogated.

the students saw the light in her eyes slowly fading away. "i--" the girl stuttered and coughed, blood flowing into her lungs. "i've seen him before. he's-" she muttered, just before the last beat of her heart.

"tell kent i love him," she murmured, before passing away in enid's arms.

"YOKO!" the werewolf wailed. 

wednesday's eyes widened in fear. someone was coming. something was coming,

and no one was safe from its evil.