38. i can change

"NO! SHE CAN'T BE GONE!" enid wailed over the vampire's dead body.

xavier knelt down next to the werewolf and raven. even though a friend had just died, he was more worried about keeping wednesday safe than anything else. "you okay?" he asked the girl.

wednesday noticed the artist's eyes getting more colorful. he was on the verge of tears. "are you?" she asked, not wanting to display her own thoughts or emotions in the moment. 

xavier's lips were tightly shut. "yeah, i think so... i just can't believe... you know... there's something else we have to worry about. again."

mrs. venus immediately called the head office to alert principal sipe. seconds later, the loudspeaker over the school announced, "this is a code orange. everyone remain in your classrooms after the bell. this is not a lockdown or a drill. i repeat, this is a code orange. everyone remain in your classrooms after the bell until you are further notified."

wednesday quickly pulled enid away from yoko into a suffocating hug. "she can't be gone! she can't be gone!" the blonde sobbed into the noriette's shoulder.

xavier wiped his eyes as the teacher shooed the students away from the bloody body. bianca stood next to him with fear in her eyes. "i know i've been angry with you in the past, but thank you for breaking up with me."

the artist swallowed and looked over at the siren with confusion painted all over his face. "why? i treated you horribly. i'm sorry- there's not even an excuse for it. you deserved better."

bianca smiled at him. "if you never broke up with me, i could have ended up marrying you, and i wasn't really in love." she scoffed at herself. "the only person i really cared about at the time was myself. you helped me realize that, in a way. besides, you obviously have feelings for someone else and she definitely reciprocates that." 

xavier became even more confused than before. "what do you mean? i'm not in love with anyone, bianca."

the girl snorted. "bullshit, xavier." she leaned in closer so the person she was talking about wouldn't hear her. "i know you're still in love with wednesday. she clearly feels the same way."

he smiled to himself and kicked the ground. "she doesn't, but--uh-- thanks for trying to make me feel better."

bianca rolled her eyes. "whatever you have to tell yourself to sleep at night."

...

two days after the murder, a funeral was held for the victim.

when enid saw the flyers, she ran into her dorm. 

wednesday could hear muffled sobs from the other side of the door. "enid, i'm coming in."

the girl looked up. she had pink tear-stained cheeks and violently sky-blue eyes. "she didn't deserve this! NONE OF US DESERVED THIS!" she screeched.

wednesday walked over to the blonde's bed and sat on the edge. "i know, enid. that is why i am determined to find the murder and murder them before they can hurt another outcast. i have reason to believe it's someone we've already been acquainted with."

enid frowned. "it's not tyler, wednesday. we already killed him."

the noirette nodded. "i never said it was tyler, but it may be his father. yoko said 'he's coming' right before she... said goodnight. it might as well be him. i am sure he is dying to execute revenge upon the students who saved my life."

a knock came from the door. "can i come in?" xavier asked.

wednesday walked over and opened it. "we are busy. now is not a good time."

the boy met the girl's eyes. "the funeral's about to start. you're coming, right?"

she looked back at her heartbroken roommate. "we will not be attending. thank you for stopping by, but you should leave."

xavier gave her a you need to be there look. "come on, wednesday. you too, enid," he said, glancing at the girl suffocating in a pile of stuffed animals. "it's better to say your goodbyes. trust me... if you don't, you'll have regrets later on."

enid peered up from her fluffy pit of sorrow. "fine," she squeaked.

wednesday glanced at xavier, accidentally at his lips. "thank you," she commented, before slamming the door in his face. 

she then walked over to help the girl from the stuffed animal soup. "i assume since you're going you're going to want to change."

enid nodded and went into her closet to find something. she walked back out, just a few seconds later, having a realization. "i don't own anything black."

wednesday glared at her. "you can borrow something of mine."

"i'll be out here when you're ready!" xavier hollered through the large oak frame.

wednesday quickly walked over and opened it. "no. go ahead and leave, xavier. it will be at least an hour until enid is ready."

to her surprise, ajax was standing there with him. "can i see enid? i'm sure i can make the process run faster," he told her. 

the girl eyed him suspiciously but nodded and let him in. 

ajax ran over to enid, wrapped his arms around her in a warm hug, and gave her a quick peck on the cheek. "hey, i'm here to help you get ready."

he turned back around to face wednesday. "do you mind leaving?" wednesday didn't even comment before walking out of the door and closing it behind her.

xavier gave her the world's smallest, saddest smile. "how are you holding up?"

she glared back at him. "i am perfectly fine. funerals are my favorite holidays. this one may be a bit more somber, but that never stopped me from enjoying one."

"well aren't you miss sunshine and rainbows today," the artist muttered.

wednesday remained unamused. "i'm not sure why you're bothering me with small talk. you obviously have something on your mind."

xavier's eyes widened in fear. he quickly looked at the ground as his face paled. "no i don't!" he exclaimed defensively.

an almost-smile spread across the girl's lips. "you are a terrible liar, xavier thorpe."

the artist blushed. "okay, okay, you got me. there is something on my mind... but i don't wanna bother you with it."

"don't be brainless, xavier. share your burdens with me," wednesday commanded.

xavier smiled at the ground. "it's just... i- i never got to hear what you thought about being friends again... or- i dunno, maybe something more."

the evil bats were back and more vicious than ever. flutter flutter. flutter flutter.

"i find you uniquely interesting and the opposite of repulsing. i would wish to be fr- more than friends again, but i have too much to do right now. i am focused on finding yoko's killer," wednesday replied.

xavier blushed as he took wednesday's hand into his own. "we could do it together this time."

wednesday held onto his hand like she'd never done anything without him by her side. "you are too convincing for your own good. i comply."

xavier wrapped his arms around her waste and pulled her closer. "i love you, wednesday. if you ever leave me again, i'll become a hyde just to gain your attention."

"i don't want to murder you right now, but i can change," wednesday warned. 

"i love you, wednesday."

"i love you, xavier."