33. love letters

two days after xavier went to visit wednesday, in the infirmary, she still wasn't awake.

he didn't know what to do. he felt as if he was slowly losing his mind. it wasn't something he enjoyed. so, he did the next best thing he could think of.

xavier began writing letters to wednesday every day.

though he wanted to, he couldn't stay with her every day. he had to continue going to classes and practicing archery and going to nightshade meetings.

every night, xavier would write a letter and send them to wednesday's bedside. he made sure to visit her each morning during breakfast too so he could still spend time with her, even if she wasn't awake.

_____________________________

DAY ONE [the first day xavier wrote a letter, three days after wednesday got shot]

Dear Wednesday,
I hope when you read this you're not in pain. I visit you every morning and you don't look like you're in pain, but I really can't tell since you know... you're not really awake.

Enid has been driving me crazy. She won't visit you because she's too afraid to see her best friend unconscious. So she resorts to asking me how you are, which by the way doesn't seem to be changing much. Ajax tells her it'll be fine but I don't believe it.

I miss teasing you, sitting next to you in class, and talking with you. I just miss you.

Please get better soon.
Your friend, Xavier

...

DAY TWO [four days after wednesday got shot]

Dear Wednesday,
Ever since you went under, the world's been at a stand still. Nothing is happening, at least nothing important. Nothing fun. It's like you're what keeps everything going. It's boring and annoying when you're not around.

I'm writing this in my room right now and Ajax and Enid keep looking over at me and whispering. They're terrible at it. They think I can't hear them but I can. Ajax thinks I'm writing letters to someone away from the school.

Enid thinks I'm writing LOVE letters to you. That's not what these are, by the way. You're just a good friend who's been on my mind a lot because of recent events haha.

I think if you were here you would try to attack them. I don't think I'd stop you.

Please get better soon.
Life is boring without you around.
Your friend, Xavier

...

DAY THREE [five days after wednesday got shot]

Dear Wednesday,
I don't think you'll ever be able to understand the amount of pain I'm in seeing you lying there unconscious in that stupid hospital bed. I think you'll laugh when you read this because I'm in pain and it's ridiculously minuscule compared to what you're going through right now.

The big fencing match is in two days and Bianca is freaking out because you're not awake yet. I mean, can you really blame her? You literally stabbed a dead zombie pilgrim in the heart.

You're a fucking legend, Wednesday Addams.

Bianca needs you and so do I.
Please get better soon.
Your friend, Xavier

...

DAY FOUR [six days after wednesday got shot]

Wednesday,
I miss you more and more every day. I don't think you understand when I say it's truly torture when you're not around. I hope you enjoy that confession when you read this.

I miss the evil smile you get when something weird or coincidental happens. I miss the way you glare at me when you're mad at me. I miss talking about the stupidest stuff with you. I miss the way you always come through with your promises. I miss you so fucking much.

Get. Better. Soon.
Or I'm going to start threatening you in these letters the way you threaten me.

Much love, Xavier

...

DAY FIVE [seven days after wednesday got shot]

Wednesday,
Living life is pointless without you in it. Wake up and get your ass out of that hospital bed! You missed the fencing competition today and Bianca's not happy about it.

We won the competition and are going to state in three weeks. I hope you're awake by then. If you're not, I'm going to sue the doctors and nurses working in the infirmary. I'm not sure if I mean that as a joke or not. You've been unconscious too long.

If you don't get out of the infirmary soon, I will stick a needle in your neck and force you to wake up from your cat nap.

See? I told you I'd threaten you like you threaten me. Bet you didn't believe me.

I'm serious, though. Wake! Up!

I miss you more and more every day.
Much love, Xavier

...

DAY SIX [eight days after wednesday got shot]

My Angelic Demon,
I wish I could give you a huge hug right now. The doctors are saying you should be awake very soon. Maybe even before tomorrow morning.

Even though I know you haven't read my last letter yet, I think my threats somehow got to your stubborn, unconscious mind. ;)

Seriously though, I'm beyond happy you're gonna be waking up soon!!! I've missed you so fucking much!

Don't tell anyone else (not that you'll probably want to after you read this anyways) but you're my favorite girl at Nevermore. Or anywhere, in fact.

But I didn't just admit that to you because if I did you'd never stop poking fun at me because of it.

I can't wait to see you awake and talk to you. God, tomorrow is going to be the best.

All my love,
Yours always,
Xavier

____________________________

early the next morning, xavier went to the infirmary before going to get food because he wanted to check and see if wednesday was awake yet.

once again, he sat on the bed next to her bed. she wasn't awake yet but he knew that day was going to he different.

he slowly leaned in close to her face and kissed her forehead. then he whispered, "i'll be back with food. wake up, wednesday. god, you have to. i can't live without you any longer."

as xavier was walking away, a faint, weak whisper came from the now conscious girl.

"xavier?"