The Duel

Ezra stepped forward and ignited his green lightsaber, "Tristan get your mom and Sabine out of here." Tristan nodded and Ursa hurried over to them. "I don't want just you Ezra, I want all of you", said Maul. Maul raised his hand and all the doors sealed shut, "There is no escape." Maul suddenly lunged and slashed at Ezra. Ezra blocked the blow and force pushed him back, "Get out, now!" He used the force and pushed the window out, shattering it. "Go!" Maul was now up and was swinging his lightsaber toward them. Ezra attacked Maul and drove him back. Ezra knew he had to lure Maul into a trap, or he would never defeat him. Ezra then remembered what he had taught Jacean, Patience is the one character that you have to be patient with. Of course, he had to be patient to defeat Maul, which meant watching and waiting for an opening. Maul and Ezra battled fiercely until Ezra saw an opening. He was patient though and waited until Maul brought his lightsaber up to strike. He stabbed, but not before Maul stabbed as well. Ezra watched as Maul fell before him, dead. Ezra felt pain rush through his body and he collapsed holding his side.

Sabine paced back and forth in the waiting room. They had rushed Ezra to the hospital and now he was in surgery. "Sis, sit down, he's going to be okay", said Tristan. Sabine sat down reluctantly and looked down. Tristan put a hand on her shoulder, "Is your crew coming?" "Yeah, they should be here in a hour." "That was nice of them." Sabine didn't say anything, but she stayed silent. Tristan pulled her into a hug, "He's going to be alright Sabine, from what I've gathered he's a tough fighter." About a hour later the Ghost crew arrived along with Rex. Jacean came running in and hopped on Sabine's lap, "Sabine, Sabine my mom said Ezra fought and killed Darth Maul." Sabine couldn't help smile a little at Jacean's enthusiasm, "Yes he did." Hera came over and picked Jacean up, "How is he Sabine?" "They haven't told us yet. He was in emergency surgery a few hours ago, I don't know now though. Just then a nurse came out, "Mrs. Bridger." Sabine got up and walked over and the nurse nodded, "Your can see your husband now." Sabine followed the nurse back, "How bad is he?" The nurse handed her the clipboard, "Puncture sliced 3 ribs which we sewed back together. It also punctured his lung, which we had to fix. He has an oxygen mask on to help him breathe, but he can take it off whenever." Sabine read the clipboard silently and handed it back to the nurse. They stopped at a door and the nurse opened it up, "Here, I'll check in every now and then." 

Ezra woke up to searing pain in his side. He brought his hand to where Maul had stabbed him and winced. He heard footsteps coming and Sabine came in. She rushed over to him and hugged him the best she could without hurting him. "Ez, how are you feeling?" Ezra took of the oxygen mask, "As fine as you can be after being stabbed by a Sith Lord." Hera and the rest of the Ghost crew walked in. "Ezra how are?", asked Hera. "Okay, it could've been worse." Zeb grinned, "Heard you killed Maul. Now we won't have to deal with him anymore." Ezra chuckled, "Guess not." "Well we should let you rest", said Hera. "See you soon." They walked back out and closed the door leaving Sabine and Ezra alone. "Sabine, is your mom and brother safe?" "Yeah, mom was really sorry about what happened and she said she would come by later to visit." "It wasn't her fault Sabine, Maul forced her to." Ezra leaned back and took Sabine's hand, "I love you Sabine, more than anything." "I do too Ez."

The next days Ezra got better and was able to walk around. In a week they left Mandalore and got back to Lothal. By the end of the month Ezra was healed except for a long scar where the lightsaber had cut. One night Ezra was walking when Kanan appeared, "Kanan, good to see you." "Indeed, you as well. I see your wound is healed." "Yes except for a scar." "I have come to warn you about something Ezra, it's quite serious. Thrawn is starting to move his pieces and the war is about to start. You must prepare." "I have told the others and we are ready." "Good, but there is one thing. Ezra, you must be ready to fight. Hard times are coming and you must be strong. May the force be with you." Kanan disappeared and Ezra walked back to base in deep thought. The next day Thrawn made his first move, he declared war. The rebellion was ready though, thanks to Ezra's warning and were already positioning ships in position. The rebellion's headquarters were on Alderan while Thrawn's (I'm calling it the Second Destruction) was on Chiss, his home planet. Ezra was checking over the supplies when Jacean ran over to him, "Master! Master! Mom needs you quick." Ezra dropped his clip board and hurried to the command center where everyone was gathered. "I'm here, what's going on?" "Thrawn has taken over Ryloth, my home planet", said Hera. "Bail contacted us and wants us to board Thrawn's main cruiser and blow it up so his ships can destroy the fleet." Rex turned to Hera, "How in blazes are we going to do that?" (By the way Rex is part of the Ghost crew now.) "We need to send in one or two people to infiltrate the core of the ship and set detonators", Hera said. "I'll go", said Ezra. "I can get in and out fast without a problem." "I'm going too", said Sabine. "No Sabine, it's too dangerous", said Ezra. "Ezra Bridger I have fought a galactic war without you, I think I can do this." "Sabine please just listen..." "No. I am going and that is final." Ezra lowered his voice, "I just don't want you getting hurt like-like, never mind. If that's all we need to know I'll go finish up checking the supplies." Ezra left and everyone looked at one another. "I know what's wrong", said Rex. "I'll talk to him." Rex walked past Sabine and whispered, "You know what day it is?" It hit Sabine hard, "It's when his parents died", she said softly. Rex nodded and left. Sabine now was angry at herself, how could she forget? She put her helmet on finished cleaning her blasters silently.

Rex put a hand on Ezra's shoulder, "I know what day it is." Ezra turned around, "I just don't want her getting hurt. I failed the first time, I'm responsible for it." "What do you mean?" "I'd rather not talk about it Rex." "Alright, I'm here if you need anything." "Actually could you finish this up for me? I just need some time to think." "Of course." Ezra gave him a small smile, "Thanks Rex." Rex watched as he walked off into the fields and he sighed, there was more to the story of Ezra's parents death than Ezra let on. He wouldn't press, but he was just a bit curious.

Ezra felt Sabine's presence come up behind him. "Look Ez, sorry about earlier. I won't go if you don't want me to." "No Sabine, I won't hold you back." Sabine sat down and took Ezra's hand, "You never told me how your parents died." "I would rather not discuss this 'Bine." Sabine smirked, "Fine, but you have to kiss me instead." Ezra grinned and pulled her close. They kissed slowly and for a long time. Finally they broke apart and they sat like that for a long time in each others arms.

That night Sabine was awakened by Ezra shouting. She shot up and shook him awake, "Ezra, wake up!" Ezra awoke, breathing hard and sweating. "A nightmare?", asked Sabine. Ezra nodded but didn't say anything. Ezra slid out of bed and put his cloak on, "I'm going outside for a bit." He left leaving Sabine watching after him. Sabine got dressed and went outside to look for him. She found him sitting on a rock looking over the fields of Lothal. She sat down and waited for him to say anything. Ezra sighed, "I guess you should know the full story 'Bine. About how my parents were killed. It was my fault. I made friends with an imperial officer who seemed nice and all, but he was really undercover to kill rebels. I made the mistake of telling him about my parent's involvements with the rebels. He killed them that night. I managed to escape though." "Oh, Ezra you couldn't have known." "Still I told him and my parents were killed. I don't want you getting killed either." "Ezra I have shot down more stormtroopers than you, I don't think I'll be killed anytime soon." Ezra grinned, "Is that a challenge?" "No, because I already won."