Never Again

"Not one to chat", commented Ezra. Sabine smirked, "No, that's the regular Mandalorian for you." Ezra stood up, "Well we better get packing." As they packed Ezra slid a box from under the bed, "Sabine I know it's my birthday, but I have something I was going to give you for your birthday, but I think they'll come in handy." Sabine opened the box revealing two, new Wextar pistols. "It's the newer one. Same design, better efficiency. I knew better than to get you a different model." Sabine grinned, "Ez, thank you. I don't know what to say." Ezra smiled, "Thought you would like them." Sabine took out her old ones and laid them aside and then put in her new ones, "Perfect fit." Ezra picked up one of her older pistols and examined it, "How many years did you have this one?" Sabine hesitated, "When my parents threw me out." Ezra looked up, "Sorry, I didn't mean to bring it up." Sabine went back to packing, "It doesn't matter. Let's just get ready." They got packed and then got ready for bed. 

Sabine still was worried about everything from her daughter to the Duchess, but she knew Ezra was by her side. She changed into her sweats and tank top and hopped into bed. Ezra sat down a few minutes later in sweats and a light T-Shirt. Sabine grabbed her data pad and started to calculate some codes for the Duchess, but was interrupted by someone grabbing it from her. "Ezra! I'm doing important stuff!" Ezra smiled mischievously, "Aww come on Sabine, the last few days have been stressful and tense. Let yourself wind down for tonight." Sabine threw up her arms, "Fine, but that means I get to study on the ship in peace and quiet." She emphasized quiet and Ezra nodded in agreement, "I will." Sabine positioned herself between Ezra's legs and leaned back into his chest. She sighed contentedly and felt herself grow sleepy. "Sabine", said Ezra "What?", she murmured sleepily. "What's this long scar across your back? I've never noticed it before." Ezra didn't get an answer, his wife was fast asleep.

 Sabine woke up to Ezra gone. She looked around and noticed that he was sitting at the desk drinking a cup of caf. She rolled over tiredly, "Ez what are you doing up?" Ezra looked over at her, "I didn't mean to wake you, go back to sleep." "Too late for that", Sabine sat up and rubbed her eyes. Ezra went back to his caf and Sabine knew he was upset. Plenty of times he had comforted her, now it was her turn. She stood up and walked over to where he was sitting, "Bad dream?" Ezra nodded, "Unfortunately yes." She wrapped her arms around his shoulders, "I'm here if you need it." Ezra gave her a grateful smile, "Thanks." He stood up and led her back to the bed. Sabine laid her head on Ezra's chest, "What was the dream about?" Ezra sighed, "It was weird, I was standing in a field when things around me started to catch fire. I tried putting it out, but it kept growing. Then my dream stopped", Ezra leaned back, "Stupid nightmares", he muttered. Sabine touched his cheek softly, "I'll be right here always, even if I'm mad at you." Ezra pulled her closer, "I love you Cyar'ika." "And I love you Ez." 

Ezra woke up before Sabine the next morning. His dream still bothered him, but not as much. Sabine had seemed more relaxed last night than in a long while and that itself made him happy. He got up and pulled the covers over a sleeping Sabine. He then got dressed and quietly made breakfast. A little while later Sabine woke up and she went to the refresher to get ready. 

There was a knock and Ezra opened it to a ever serious Bo-Katan Kryze. "Uh I have some breakfast ready", said Ezra. She nodded and stepped inside. Ezra finished breakfast and Sabine came out fully armored. "Good morning Bo", said Sabine sitting down. Ezra set the plates down and then sat down himself. During breakfast no one spoke, which was awkward to say the least. Usually Ezra and Sabine joked and talked, but it was quiet as a stone. They finished breakfast in silence and then packed the ship up. Soon they were off. Bo-Katan rode with them while her assistant piloted her ship. Sabine straightaway began to calculate codes and numbers for the Duchess while Bo-Katan did the same. 

Ezra watched hyperspace fly by and sighed, he had been thinking of his dream and it still made no sense. Sabine jumped up suddenly, "I have it!" Ezra and Bo-Katan looked over eagerly, "If we program the ship to self-destruct, it would blow it up with it." Ezra nodded thoughtfully, "Yes, we just need to access to the core of the ship. I could easily sneak in there and set the bombs and..." "Get yourself killed", interrupted Sabine. "Sabine it's the only way. I can get out..." "Ezra can I talk to you alone for a minute?", said Sabine jerking her head toward the cockpit. Ezra followed Sabine into the cockpit and shut the door. He leaned against the door while Sabine sat down in the co-pilot seat. "Sabine I have to do this, this weapon has to be destroyed." Sabine gripped her helmet in her hand, "I can't do it Ez, I can't do it again", Sabine said softly. "What do you mean?" Sabine looked up, "I can't lose you again." "Sabine you're strong, you can." "No I can't!", she said exasperated. "Do you know what I went through when you were gone?! Do you know the pain and hurt I felt every day while you were gone?! The night after you left was the 2nd most terrible night in my life." Sabine pulled her helmet on, "I never want to experience that again." Ezra was silent and he watched Sabine stare out the window.