Chapter 18

Before
18/01/2024

"Shush....it's ok. I am here. The pain will subside." Akir comforted as he placed a cold wet towel on her burning forehead.

Halcyone had a high temperature of 104 degree F. This gave her body immense pain as it triggered Amare. The normal medications didn't subside her temperature but only further affected her weak body as they weren't right dosage for her weightless body. Whenever she had her attacks, she kept losing weight. She had to heal by herself and it was a very painful process as she kept screaming and tossing around helplessly. Every muscle in her body ached and screamed.

He knew she was getting weaker. They both loved each other, but it was only left in the air, known to the world and known in their hearts. He was ok with it. He was, until he felt the urge to confess it all, seeing her in pain and having more frequent attacks as they spent time together. She'd collapse midway through her painting or gardening. He left the lost time bore on him. He felt the time flying away no matter how desperately he tried to hold on. He knew not saying the words will not make the process any slower, but seeing her smile vibrantly only made him want to hold on a little longer.

"It has been 4 years." he mumbled, holding on to her hands. Wishing to take away all of her pain.

"...maybe for you." he heard her weakly answer.

His head bolted upright at her comment. "What do you mean?"

She chuckled painfully and tried to push herself upright.

"Maybe for you it's only 4 years. For me it is 6 years....Akir." She finally said it.

His eyes glistened as he heard her say his name. His cheeks flushed. His mind repeated "6 years, Akir." over and over. He loved it. He loved his name. He loved her voice. He loved how her lips formed his name. He loved her. He loved her so much that it hurt.

"6 years?" he repeated. "Halcyone....I love you."