Chapter 20

Before
05/08/2024

"Halcyone." Her father called, as she entered the study. She saw her mum seated as well.

"Father. Mother." She greeted them.

"How are things with him?" Her father asked, knowing it would prick her.

She smiled. "Never better. I trust him. I trust us."

Her mother sucked in air. "Break up with him."

"We are not dating." she said bitterly.

"We worry for you baby. We only want what's best for you. For you to live." he said desperately.

"Maybe that isn't something I want dad. It is something you want." she replied, agitated.

Both of them had become silent. They were appalled and shocked at their daughter's reply.

"Is this what you want darling? Is this what you choose? Death for love?" her mum finally spoke.

"Yes." Halcyone didn't even have to think, she knew it as well as her heart knew it had to pump for her to live.

"I just wanted to know....but I guess I know now. The legend says it is a disease passed down by generation. I am not asking for which one of your family has passed it, but I wish to show you how beautiful an emotion and feeling, love is. How it makes you cry, smile, laugh and live. Either of you living is only proof of how perfect this family and my life has been. It was absurdly perfect to be true. Maybe this is the reason why utopia cannot be achieved. Something broken makes us feel real, the drive to achieve something and fight for it makes us feel real. I love him, mum. I really love him, dad. I love him so much that I seem to enjoy when my body is on fire, because my love seems real, it seems true." She was crying, it hurt. She wanted to be near him. Have him hug her. Tell her it will be ok. Tell her he is here with her and will always stay.

She had picked herself up and was running. Running out of the study. Running out of the house. Running. Running until she reached home.