Ch.13 Downpour

Chapter 13

Two years ago 

"Do you smoke?" The nurse asked as she typed away at the doctor's desk.

"No," Daisy said from where she sat on the examination table.

"Do you drink?"

"Socially."

"And family history of high blood pressure, cholesterol, or diabetes?"

No, No, and no," Daisy said.

"Okay, great. I'll leave this here for the doctors and she can come in to let you know your results."

"Thank you," Daisy tugged on the sleeves of her shirt and nodded.

Her head was beginning to hurt. She suspected it had something to do with all the overthinking she was doing regarding Luca. Every time she thought of him, her belly clenched and she felt an electric pulse run up her spine to warm her cheeks. She couldn't stop thinking about the way his mouth had felt on her skin. Warm, wet, and hungry. His hands held her so tight Daisy had feared he would rip the shirt right off of her. Maybe he wanted to. Maybe she wanted him to.

As Daisy sat replaying the moment over in her head for the hundredth time, her phone buzzed in her palms. She looked down and her heart lodged into her throat.

Luca.

Again.

He had been calling nonstop for the past hour. Daisy didn't know if she wanted to talk to him or if was ready to talk to him without saying something stupid. She ignored the calls several times but her heart still clenched whenever she saw his name pop up on her screen. Feeling like she couldn't breathe, Daisy accepted the call and brought the phone to her ear.

"What?" She asked, her words coming out weaker than she had intended to. "What do you want?"

"Do you have any idea how many times I have called you in the past hour?" Luca asked, his voice controlled yet still slipping on the anger.

"If you called to yell at me then I'm hanging up ri-"

"Don't," Luca said sternly. "Listen to me."

"What?" Daisy asked.

"Gia's in the hospital."

Daisy sat up straight as her heart dropped to her stomach, "What do you mean? Why?"

"She overheated and had a severe anxiety attack," Luca said. The hint of panic in his voice caused Daisy to grip her phone tightly in her hand and slide off the examination table. "She's asking for you."

"I'm on my way," Daisy said.

"Stay where you are," Luca ordered. "I'll come pick you up."

"No," Daisy shook her head, grabbing her bag off the chair and rushing out of the room.

"Listen to m-"

"It's going to take too long," Daisy said. "I'll just meet you at the hospital."

"It's about to storm outside."

"I'll be fine," Daisy snapped. "Just text me the hospital information."

"Fine," Luca said. Daisy could picture the scowl on his face.

"I'm on my way," Daisy said once more before hanging up the phone and walking up to the nurse in the hall. "Hi, I'm so sorry. But there's a family emergency. I can't stay."