Ch.33 Picture it

Chapter 33

On the drive back, Luca held Daisy's hand firmly in his and repeatedly kissed it as if she might disappear if he stopped. Daisy sighed in her seat and stared out the window at the beautiful countryside and let the wind play with her hair.

"What do you want to do today?" Luca asked, pulling into town.

"The beach?"

Luca frowned. He hadn't been to the beach since Stella. Ever since her death, all his dreams were haunted by her and the damn beach.

"It's too hot for that," he said.

"This is the perfect beach weather!"

"Go with Gia," Luca drove up to the small flower shop and stopped the car.

"I want to go with you," Daisy said.

"I have some work to finish up," Luca said.

"What work?"

"Babe," Luca clicked his tongue. "Please, just go with G. Take Theo with you. He'll like it."

"Fine," Daisy said casually, not thinking too much about it.

"Wait in the car," Luca said as he unbuckled his seatbelt.

"Where are you going?"

"Give me a second," Luca stepped out and closed the door.

Daisy's eyes followed him as he made his way across the front of the car and towards the flower shop. She began to smile as Luca walked up to the man at the stand and pointed to some of the flowers in the large silver buckets. She leaned forward and rolled the window down to watch him with her arms on the door under her chin.

The man at the flower shop greeted Luca like most people in town did. As if he was a relative they hadn't seen in years. They stopped to chat for a while with polite nods, happy eyes, and lots of laughter. It warmed Daisy's heart to see Luca so lively. She would have never imagined him to be such a people's person. Making friends everywhere he went.

As Daisy watched, the old man at the flower shop gathered flowers from the buckets and began to wrap them in white papers. Daisy could almost smell the sweet roses and lilies from the car as the man handed Luca the bouquet and then pulled out another one that was only filled with white roses.

There was a pause as the shopkeeper waited for Luca to take the second bouquet. Daisy wondered what they were speaking about as Luca looked over his shoulder at her. Their eyes locked and he gave her a small smile. Daisy smiled back as Luca turned back towards the old man and shook his head. He pulled out his wallet and paid for the flowers before turning on his heels and walking back to the car.

"For me?" Daisy laughed as he held them out towards her through the car window.

"Of course," Luca leaned in through the window and kissed her.

"Thank you," Daisy raised a hand and touched the edge of his face. She stared into his green eyes hoping he saw how much she adored him. "I love you."

A wide smile broke across Luca's face. He kissed her again, tasting the words on her lips as the scent of the flowers filled the car. Daisy giggled, pushing him away as his tongue began to seek more and more.

"Do you want to stop by anywhere?" Luca asked.

"No," Daisy said. "I want to get home and see Theo."

"We can all go out for lunch," Luca suggested.

"Maybe," Daisy sighed.

"Okay," Luca gave her one last kiss before walking back around to the driver's seat and starting the engine. Daisy buried her nose in the flowers and smiled to herself. She didn't notice the way some of the women stared at her from the shops and boutiques. But Luca did.